Thursday, October 16, 2008

One fantastic movie I recommend, unconventional and provocative, is Sin noticias de Dios. Great film. Not safe for children.

I'd seen Penelope Cruz in films and thought she was really good. I actually really liked of Woman On Top, because it seemed a whimsical nod to the whole magical realism thing that I like so much about South American literature. My major dislike of the film came into how it was edited for cable and for the dvd release to be more muted and politically correct.

Anyhoo, in Sin noticias de Dios, an angel and a demon are battling for the soul of a boxer. I could tell you what I like about the film, about the big twist that comes later, but that would ruin the surprise. Suffice to say this was the moment I realized I ADORE Penelope Cruz as an actor, and I want to see more of her.

Also check out the divine Pedro Almodovar's Volver, another Spanish comedy starring Cruz. Great stuff. She's gorgeous to watch and actually seems to have a brain which touches her spinal cord.

Hey, mi video screen es tu video screen, baby.

No comments: