Sunday, March 04, 2007

Wow, two weeks from tomorrow I'll be done with Real Estate school. WOOHOO!

Actually, though I have felt a little sicky on and off, I'm pretty proud of myself for hanging in there and not losing it. Lots of people I'm in class with have blown off one or two weekends, intending to make it up later. Personally, I want done with it-- I'm tired and I just want to sleep late again like the good old days. I'll be one of those night-time realtors. Want me to write a contract at midinight? No problem. Just don't ask me to show you a property at sunrise. Ew.

....

Remember Doc Holliday of OK Corral fame? Did you realize he has a Dallas connection?

Originally from Philadelphia, he learned he had tuberculosis and was advised to repair to a drier clime, and off he went to Dallas. In 1873, he was hired to work with Dallas dentist Dr John A. Seegar. However, Dr Seegar fired Holliday because he kept coughing in the patients' faces and grossing them out. No telling how many of them he kilt.

Anyhoo, in Dallas south of I-30 several blocks is Seegar Street, named for this dentist. Within 3 blocks is where Aaron Spelling was born in a little shack, and also a block away is the former skating rink (now lofts with the original rink floor - COOL!) where Elvis played just when he was hitting it big way back when. Then another block over is where the Nu-Grape soda building was put up during prohibition (word on street was that grape libation had a little extra sum-sum'in) and where a boarding/flop house was run in the 40s/50s, where Jack Ruby lived, opening his first Dallas strip joint, The Silver Slipper, in the adjacent building.

Sorry, that were a bit of a ramble, weren't it? Too many days of concentrated concentration. My mind is cracked and odd bits are slipping out...

4 comments:

HollyB said...

I enjoy those bits of arcane, architechtural history. Thanks.

And I'm sooo glad you'll soon be finished with those BEASTLY classes. But, you get the Gold Star for Perfect Attendance!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I expect there will be a bit of a hoopla bash at Casa Phlegmmy when all the classes are done? What shall I wear?

Becky said...

I took my real estate classes online -- I knew that I couldn't stand going to class, so I give you props for sticking with it.

FHB said...

That's very cool. You should do a tour guide service to all these cool places you know about. I'd take that ride.