Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Recently my sister got out her guitar and her John Denver songbook, with which she's been serenading the family for years. This is generally pleasant as long as she doesn't venture into JD's repertoire with a very broad tessitura. Indeed, challenged beyond an octave, my sister's sense of tonality borders on the pathological. One such song is "The Eagle," which all and sundry in the family beg her to stop singing within 2 bars. *shudder* (Incidentally, I trained as an opera singer in college, so I don't know whose baby we brought home from the hospital all those years ago). Coyotes have been moving into her neighborhood in record numbers. I have a theory why...

Anyway, my niece is quite familiar with John Denver's body of musical work. She asked my sister how he died, and she explained he shuffled off this mortal coil while flying an experimental plane off the coast of California. Niece looked puzzled and said "Isn't that weird? Didn't he write that leaving on a jet plane song?" Yes. Sister giggled herself silly over that one. Me too. Clever girl.


Back to the pimp-o-lympics™. Rocky (racquel) had to go and invoke the ultimate horror of the image of these medals snuggling into unruly thatches of Italian chest hair. I would point out the Italian ladies are by now no doubt familiar with 21st century depilatory methods, so let us not be catty.

4 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

They were over at my sister's house. You know, the opera and JD thing may need to be a new family tradition or something. We'll give it a go and I'll report back to you. f

Anonymous said...

If women could see just how fast my extra special version of The Eagle And The Hawk could get a lazy-ass husband off the couch and busy with chores... hey! Would anyone like to hire me? I also specialize in torturing in-laws, small children and teenagers.

Anonymous said...

I always liked that movie, Oh God.

phlegmfatale said...

OMG - Oh God? Wow, LBB - I'm amazed you'll admit that in semi-public!!! *LOL* Never saw it, actually.

Yes, "anonymous" it's nice having such a weapon in your arsenal, isn't it? BTW - Husband read this and said "Am I the in-law she's talking about torturing? Because it's all about me..." Har de har har.