Saturday, August 12, 2006

Niece and nephew spent the night Friday night, hence the late post yet for Saturday. They are delightful but draining creatures.

I had a pretty placid b-tribe cd in the hopper as we drove away, and having just kissed his mama and daddy goodbye, I could see nephew's chin quiver as he said "this music makes me sad," when in truth, he was missing them already. So I pulled over and popped in a Gorillaz cd, his favorite. I opened the sunroof and the kids watched planes and building clouds as we traversed Dallas county. It was about as enjoyable a rush hour as you can have on a Friday afternoon, laughing all the way.

I picked them up about 4:15, and then we went to the shoe store to get the 3 year old boy some shoes that light up (I got shoes for niecey last time she was over alone) and then we went to a burger place where husband joined us. Niece shows remarkable promise for the game Galaga, which makes her old auntie proud. Then we hit the snowcone stand and went home and ate snowcones in the pool.

We were in the pool from about 6:30 until 9:00. They ate lots of popsicles, and I got hiccups. Nephew said those weren't real hiccups, that they were too silly. He said "I'll show you some real hiccups." He reminds me of myself.

I watched Power Puff girls with them, and niece drifted off about 10:45, but nephew had real staying power. About 11:30, I fetched husband, who was setting up my new mac (on which I'm typing this) to watch nephew. I went to bed and fell asleep immediately.

I dreamt I was in Manhattan at a posh restaurant which was part of a rocket that was going into space. That's the only semi-normal part I can tell you of it.

Anyway, they are just the best, most delightful kids. But they always are when they're not your own, right? It's funny the difference in energy level between yourself and people who are 31 and 37 years younger. *L*

I'm digging the MAC. WOO HOO!

5 comments:

Dick said...

Glad you're diggin the new Mac.
The part about snow cones in the pool qualified as greatness in this heat ya know!

Anonymous said...

hey sis, thanks for watching them. Made our working our fingers to the bone weekend much easier. Ya'll can come get them again soon as you recover or just before I lock them in the closet.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I love how your nephew covered up his missing his folks with blaming the music selection. What a trooper!

FHB said...

Mmmm, corrupting the youth. Sounds like loads of fun.

phlegmfatale said...

nongirlfriend - I can't wait for that picture!

big dick - the funny thing is my sister's mother-in-law won't allow niece and nephew to go near her pool with popsicles, and I figure life is way too short to sweat stuff that small. It's funny - everytime the kids are over, there's a huge collection of sand on the steps as nephew makes his circuit between sandbox and pool. I love it. I love that there's evidence they've been over recently. It's like an echo of laughter.

sis - you're welcome - you know I love to have them any time I can. And thanks for coming back over yesterday afternoon. Hopefully you can come over some more weekends before the hot weather is over.

barbara bruederlin - Yeah, at 3, nephew is enough of a tough-guy to triangulate the reason for his quivering chin. Adorable!

fathairybastard - Yup, they ARE loads of fun, the sweet babies. I'm sure in the blink of an eye they'll be taller than me and I'll seem ever-so-old to them. They are a joy.