Monday, June 01, 2009

Gone Fishing...











Went to a nearby lake Sunday with friends. No adults caught anything, but the kids were catching the dickens out of some bluegill perch.








The young lady worked on her cast and was doing a fair job of it. The fish photo is the second one she caught.

Here's a photo of the young man hauling one in. The crawfish really surprised me. I didn't expect to see such a large one in a lake of this size, but it looked big enough to eat. Not for me, of course, but someone else could make a good mouthful of that one.








I didn't have my fishing license, so the only thing I caught was the occasional photo of friends having fun.








That day was catch and release only. I'll be getting my license this week and next time I plan to get in on the fishing. Hopefully we'll catch a few bass and have a proper meal of them.








I'm feeling much better. Still have a little bit of a cough, but I took it easy this weekend, and I feel dramatically improved.

5 comments:

HollyB said...

They say fishing can be a relaxing pasttime. Looks like y'all had fun.

Buck said...

Bluegills can be good eating if (a) you catch enough of 'em and (b) you have the patience to clean all those lil suckers. Item (b) is obviously the long pole in the tent...

I'm glad you're feeling better, Phlegmmy!

Christina RN LMT said...

Sounds like a fantastic day, Phlegm. That crawfish looks scary, though!

Anonymous said...

THe bream, perch, blue gill etc taste much better to me then bass but it can be work cleaning enough. They keep the kids interested which might be their best attribute since they are usually not that hard to catch.

I am working near Lake Livingston this month and keep thinking I should check it out; but having lived in dry west Texas for years this 90+ degree heat and the same humidity leaves me with no energy. Maybe I will adjust.

good luck with your fishing and catch a big un.

ben

Just a little snarky said...

Just a note from your friendly grammar nazi. Bluegill are not perch, they are separate species, separate genus even. Bluegill are lumped in with sunfish and are a North American cichlid.

And I'm quite sure they cannot interbreed, regardless of local names given to them.