Saturday, April 26, 2008

So the great simplification continues.
I've hauled impressive parcels of flotsam and jetsam to Goodwill today, and even managed to drop some more desireable junk at a consignment store. This is SO overdue. At least one piece of furniture will be kicked to an accomodating curb in about 8 hours.

I have this bad habit of making mish-mash bead pieces comprised of dozens of focal beads combined with a broad woven mixture of tiny seed beads. I call this bead-roux, and my bead gravy always makes for a really original project. If I use the same roux again, I'll add one more bead or two to the mix so it won't be identical. I get bored.

This means that in my jewelry studio, I literally have dozens of plastic tubs and containers half-full of beads and other bits and bobs, but there are no lids to be found. How did this happen? I can't figure our whence the lids have evaporated. I certainly wouldn't have discarded them. Perhaps they sulked off into the Sunset, bemoaning my neglect. I'm consolidating the tubs and finding there is way less of a mess than I thought, I was just very efficient at stringing the mess out over dozens of containers. Dozens of soup bowls have been repatriated to the kitchen, but I'm keeping the spoon rests, dammit. Shallow basins are great for picking up tiny beads... Now I have mere fileboxes with ziploc bags corresponding to particular projects and color groups. I've probably handled about a quarter million beads Friday night in little bins, vials and bags (if not more). I'm not kidding.

If the world monetary system ever totally breaks down and we revert to beads, well, I'm rich, beeyotch. If you can find your way to me at that wretched moment, I'll hook you up. Just ask for Empress Phlegmmy.

15 comments:

Christina RN LMT said...

I bow before you, oh Imperial Majesty!

Was that obsequious enough to garner me some of those precious beads? Hey, I can fawn with the best of 'em!

Congrats on making so much progress, organization is truly soothing to the soul.

phlegmfatale said...

christina - you're in like Flynn, baby!

HollyB said...

Greetings Empress! Your beauty and talent have brought you to the attention of the Bitch Goddess of Moot Points, Futile Arguements and Lost Causes.
I am on my chosen path to becoming The Most Powerful Woman in the Universe.
I will consider an alliance with your Grand Empressivness. Contact me at my blog for further negotiations.
And pay NO attention to the man who CLAIMS to have Flying Monkeys. He has delusions.

JPG said...

Wow! You could just about corner the market on wampum belts, huh? You could set homeless persons to stringing them beads, and in a month or two . . . .

Attila the Mom said...

I think your lids have beamed themselves over here.

I was doing a little spring cleaning myself and found a box of lids with no bottoms!

Ok, that sounds a little pervy, doesn't it?

LOL

phlegmfatale said...

HollyB - my people will be contacting your people. We come bearing gifts. A man in command of Flying Monkeys can afford to be deluded.

jpg - yuppers, I'm all set! Yup-- I'll be Queen Beed.

attilatm - well, it's nice to know they popped up elsewhere in the universe. Their utter disappearance was most vexing, indeed.

LBJ said...

I would like to see those shiny beads. I think they would kick the Euro's butt.

Urika
Discworld Goddess of Snow, Saunas and Theatrical Performances for Fewer than 120 People.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Plastic lids are the single sock of the kitchen world, it's true.

I'll bet you have scads of space in your studio now!

breda said...

Your Majesty, if you still can't find the lids, may I suggest Press-N-Seal plastic wrap?

none said...

Oh I need to un-junk. It's just really hard to get everyone to agree on what to toss.

Lin said...

Did you interrogate Doglet on those missing lids? "Cool ... Frisbees galore!!" That's my suspicion.

Ack ... then I won't tell you about the beads that got left behind or grabbed by helpers when I packed up my lighting workshop. By doing so, I have undoubtedly insured that the bead will replace the gold standard. SOML

Xavier said...

My wife is a fan of your's phlegmmy, but she is studiously ignoring this post........

The Captain said...

Welcome to my world of Too Much Stuff. I've been on a tear lately, tossing stuff left-and-right, but it's a huge job.

NotClauswitz said...

I am always hauling something to the Goodwill truck. Living in the finite square-footage cosmos of a condo-unit (and happy owner we are), when something New and Marvelous comes in something else has to go out...

Anonymous said...

La Phlegm, I believe your lids are with my odd baby socks that I have no match to. Wherever that may be.