Saturday, April 19, 2008

Goody.
A revolting trend sweeping Japan has leapt the Atlantic. Hakata Tonton is a restaurant which specializes in "pied de cochon." (I love that they're putting lipstick on the pig foot by deploying the French sobriquet) for New Yorkers who are emulating the Japanese trend for these fountain-of-youth foods.

I'm pretty open-minded about trying different foods, and even some which many Westerners would call revolting, but eating something like pig feet or soft shell turtle as part of a beauty regimen is simply beyond the pale to me. Yuck. Even if you stay looking as fresh as a baby's butt, sitting around eating trotters is not a type of aging I'd call graceful.

I may get really wrinkly before this is all over with, but I'm going to be cute-wrinkly, dammit.

**********************

PHLEGMMY'S PRODUCT ROUND-UP

Actually, why eat something oogy when you could just slather something nice-smelling on your skin?

I don't use a lot of makeup because I've always been pretty lucky with my skin. However, I do need moisturizer sometimes, and I've found the PERFECT one, and it's really natural with no preservatives or other harsh stuff. It made in Greece and it's called Korres Wild Rose 24 Hour Moisturizer. It does smell faintly of roses, but in a very nice, not-cloying way- it doesn't smell like fake-rose scent. They also have one that sounds wonderful called Thyme Honey Cream. Sweet!


This is the only moisturizer I've ever used that seemed to work without feeling like I was smearing petroleum product on my face. It's a little bit pricey, but also worth it for the additional sun block.


That is all.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm nom nom nom feet....eww. I may have to try that moisturizer.

Joe said...

My grandma loved pickled pigs feet

Christina RN LMT said...

I have really oily skin, so I need a moisturizer that doesn't contribute to that, but combats it. Also, I'm so ghostly pale that I need to use a high-SPF sunblock every day, even though it's just for my commute!
I definitely have "trucker arm"...my left arm is several shades darker than my right.

Pigs' feet...ewwwww!

phlegmfatale said...

kvegas911 - not my cup of tea!

hoosierboy - so did your gran have young, non-wrinkly skin?

christina - they MUST have some moisturizer that would work for you. Their stuff is amazing! Trucker arm - I LOVE that. Funny!

Anonymous said...

Now phlegm, you're playing coy, growing up in the South pigs feet, knuckles etc, can't be new to you, why I know a store that still keeps a jar standing on the counter but I understand Nyorkers would NEVER accept such cuisine from a culture of barefoot Rebels but dressed up under the guise of youth inducing and Asian to boot those Yankees would suck it up. Mind you, I have nevaaah partaken of them.

Thud said...

what can I say...we sell pigs feet on the bar of my pub...an uncivilised lot us!

phlegmfatale said...

leazwell ! FUNNEE and brilliant observation. I wish I'd said that!

thud - but folks at your local aren't eating pigs' feet to preserve their ladylike complexions, are they? :P

Anonymous said...

Pigs feet nasty!

I am one of those lucky people that have no need for moisturizers ( yet). Go ahead ladies let me have it! ;)

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Pork hocks are actually really damned tasty, but judging from the looks of some of the Polish babchas in whose kitchens I have eaten them, I seriously doubt their youth-maintaining qualities.

B said...

I predict hog-moss and chitlins soon to be added to that youth preserving prescription. Or shall I say, "l'estomac d'un cochon" et "intestins de cochon"
Want a real youth preserving secret the cosmetic industry would never want spread? Urine. On your face. It acts as the perfect astringent and keeps that visage tight.

Christina RN LMT said...

@ b...PIG urine? ;)

B said...

Hahaha!
No, your own. Who knows, though, maybe Hakata Tonton will be offering urine de cochon martinis on their menu soon.
check it out:
http://www.skepdic.com/urine.html
I'm not crazy; people have been doing this for centuries and I can attest first hand that IT WORKS. (the bathing-the drinking I'm fairly inexperienced at)

John R said...

In an earlier life, I worked for a pet treat company in Colorado. One of the best treats for larger dogs are hog ears. They really are a good treat, much better than raw hide and processed treats.

Anyway, the price of hog ears is out of this world due to the Chinese demand. The Chinese buy them by the container ship full, and they are not for the dogs.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

My dad was eatin' pig's feet long before any Japanese...not that that's anything to go 'round bragging 'bout!