Thursday, February 03, 2011

Rabbit Stewed in Roman Style


Next to my Larousse Gastronomique, this is the most oft-used volume in my kitchen library. Published in 1979, in the UK, The Mediterranean Cookbook [Anna Macmiadhachain (Author), Mary Reynolds (Author), Claudia Roden (Author), Helge Rubinstein (Author)
]is a great resource for recipes for all manner of fresh fruit and veg dishes, as well as standard meats and fish and a bit of game. I'll cut to the chase and own that I am a bit of a snob in that I believe the folks along the Mediterranean evolved some of the most elegant regional cooking, and so when I was preparing to cook rabbit for the first time (last night), I changed my mind last minute to go from the twice-fried standard version to the Rabbit Stewed in Roman Style, according to this cookbook.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. If you like Greek and Spanish cooking, as well as some more rustic French and Italian, this is a must-have, imho. Mmmm, mousaka! Mmm, spanikopita!


Anyway, the post just after this one will have the rabbit recipe on an image. If that doesn't work for you and and you need me to print it out here, then just let me know. Oh and click on the link above to buy this cookbook used. I think you'll be glad you did.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: