Friday, February 11, 2011

Anti-carry bull-crappery

I love the part where the the Stupid-arsed Anti-Carry organization* representative says that citizens who openly carry legally are just as likely to put a bullet in you as they are the bad guys. Whence came the data on which she bases that assertion? I'd say she's more likely of an accidental discharge than any of the pro-2A folks in the video. Okay, maybe another kind of discharge-- pants-crapping hysterics, more like.

The people I know who carry are among the most contemplative and least impulsive folks I know. There is early-and-often talk of gun safety and at my own home a couple weeks ago, to a man and to a woman**, everyone twice checked the chamber of every firearm as it was handed to them, even having seen the previous person check it before them. At that particular gathering, I knew I was in one of the safest places I could have been in all of Texas. Or the entire country, for that matter. And all those folks are not super-heroes, either. They are something much better: they are regular folks who are, in fact, heroic in all the best ways. There's no finer, more decent crowd of people. And none less likely to accidentally shoot someone.

An armed society is a polite society.

Robert A Heinlein


When I contrast the neurotic hand-wringing of these fear-motivated anti-gun people with the calm assurance of the Second Amendment crowd, well, I'll stay where I am, thank you very much.


I'm disappointed in Peet's, I'm not fond of pizza, anyway, and I defy Peet's by having a gun on my person half the time when I'm drinking their wonderful Winter Solstice or Masala Chai teas (will be 90% of the time when I have my shoulder holster from Michael) and I couldn't give a toss if Peet's approves or not. The way I see it, I'm doing my little part to help Peet's celebrate my own freedom-loving principles. Why, after all, should I hold anti-gun hysteria against a little tea-bag? ;P

*no, I'm not naming their sorry organization on my blog.
**see MattG's accounting here, paragraph 5

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Excellent post, and excellent points Phlegmmy!

Josh Kruschke said...

Robert E. Howard - "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

Kristophr said...

You should consider boycotting them instead.