Saturday, February 05, 2011

...and so the drumbeat continues to sound for nationalised healthcare.

A (some say THE) pioneer hip-hop artist is ill and thinks all the rest of us should tote the note.

During the intervening years between his initial success with hiphop music and now when brought low by kidney stones, what has this artist done with himself or his energy and resources? The little cricket played in the sun whilst the rest of we schmucks worked and saved and paid for our own health insurance (or not) so that we'd not come up short in the case of dire illness. Now that he's in a health crisis, all the rest of us need to dig a little deeper and see that he is seen to.

Call me obtuse, but I don't think America is all about the free ride. I think it's about being able to make one's own choices. I find this indictment of the American welfare system lobbed by an American via a foreign publication to be profoundly offensive.

8 comments:

minimedic said...

+1

I don't mind helping the poor, but when "the poor" spend their money on frivioulous items like gold grills and large vehicles that they really don't need...

drjim said...

Sad, too bad!
Should have saved something for a rainy day.

Old NFO said...

And how much of his money went up his nose??? THAT is NOT my problem, that's his... and where are his protégées???

Jennifer said...

The great thing about this country is the opportunity for everyone to succeed. With the chance for great success, comes the risk of failure. I wish him the best, but he should have no expectation of charity. And make no mistake, that is what he is asking for. I am a charitable person, but I have little desire to help those who consistently choose not to help themselves.

Auntie J said...

Exactly...what did he do with his money? What has he done since his "invention" of hip-hop? America IS the land of opportunity, but it's not the land of it's-all-provided-for-you. The opportunities are there, but it's up to each of us to make something of them.

Joseph said...

Then why don't all the rich hip-hop and gangsta artists step up and cover the cost?

John B said...

gee when he was flush and I was hurtin', where was his ass and his roll?

Josh Kruschke said...

If I have given my self a concussion by banged my head repeatedly aganst a wall, because I read that story and my brain wanted the pain to stop, could I sue him for the cost of the shrink I now need?

:-(
Josh