Saturday, December 26, 2009

For today, a good memory:

Grandpa had a good day yesterday and was feeling much more chipper, seemed on the mend. My aunts N and J were with him when he slipped away at 3:00 this morning. Grandpa asked me once to sing at his funeral, and I promised I would. In a few minutes, I'm heading out for Dallas County to meet up with my folks and ride on up to the Ozarks with them right away. I'm loading a couple of my favorite grandpa posts for the next couple days. I'm really sad, but Grandpa had a good, long life and we've all got some phenomenal stories about this extraordinary man.

For now, though, here's one I don't think I've ever told on the blog.

During or right after the Great Depression, surveyors were combing the backwoods all over the nation, mapping out the terrain and charting every nook and cranny. Way back in the woods and miles from anything which passed for a footpath, one surveyor had broken his ankle, and the other surveyor had found his way out to fetch help. Grandpa was there, and knew all the countryside. Grandpa was not a large man, but he was a tough as a pine knot. The surveyors were wringing their hands, wondering what to do in those hills full of cold mountain springs and overgrown ravines to be traversed. Grandpa resolutely and without a word picked the man up on his shoulder and walked him out of there. Grandpa had a lot of grit, and he wasn't a stitch on my Grandma for grit. The best of both of them made my dad, and I just hope for a thimble of what my Dad has.

I'm sad today, but I'm thankful that I lived to see this many years with my Grandpa still in the world, his horrid filddle-playing and all (funny how his bad fiddle playing is a warm memory!). Grandparents are special people. They have patience for their grandchildren in a way they didn't have the time or maturity to have with their own children. It's a blessing to be able to experience that. I feel very blessed indeed.

I don't know if I'll be back to a computer for the next few days, and there will be some Grandpa posts up and I'll moderate comments when I get back. I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers, and thank you for the kind words you've already said.

For now, a memory of trips to Grandma and Grandpa's house I posted in October of 2007



Saturday nights spent at Grandma and Grandpa's house in the Ozarks meant an endless loop of Hee Haw. Good stuff. I love that gossip song, too, but I can't find it...

HEE HAW THE NEXT GENERATION:

18 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

Can't find a video of the gossip song, either, but I can remember the lyrics:

"Oh, we're not ones to go 'round spreadin' rumors,
Oh really we're not just because,
No you'll never hear one of us repeating gossip,
So you better be sure and listen close the first time."

Yeah, I know. I'm pathetic.

On a Wing and a Whim said...

I'm sorry to hear he's gone, phleggmy, though it's good to know he had a good and full life before he went.

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your g'father's passing. But, as you said, he lived a good long life, and passed along a lot of excellent traits, lessons and memories.

Let your life be his memorial.

B Woodman

MiniKat said...

I can't think of what to say other than I'm so sorry for your loss and that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Farmmom said...

Bless you hun. I am so glad that you have many good memories with your granddad. Please if there is anything we can do to help let me know. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Be careful on the drive.
Love you!

breda said...

Our thoughts are with you, Phlegmmy. Much love to you and yours.

Borepatch said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Buck said...

My condolences, Phlegmmy.

Laura said...

my condolences on your loss. my grandfather passed 2 weeks ago, and i'm still feeling the loss. definitely keep the good memories in your mind.

Old NFO said...

THoughts and prayers sent Phlegmmy, know that he has gone to a better place! And yes, remember the good!!!

Jeffro said...

My condolences to you and yours, Phlegmmy.

Rob K said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I certainly have felt it too.

Vinogirl said...

I'm sorry...grand parents are so special.

Don said...

My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

Zdogk9 said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Thud said...

You are in our prayers.

Ambulance Driver said...

Oh, damn.

Here I was trying to be flip, and hadn't read closely enough to see that your grandfather had passed.

I'm so sorry, Phlegmmy. You and your family are in my prayers.

frank graham said...

your thoughts of your boppa resonate in my soul. having lost my own a couple of years ago, i feel your loss. sounds to me like his was a life fully lived, and that is the feeling i had for my boppa, too. bummed that i didn't ask some real questions and glad i had asked a few tough ones. i'm (and i feel you are) a better person for being around him as i grew. i just wish there had been more opportunities to ask those real questions. take care,
rainmanindaytona