Monday, December 21, 2009

Favorite shopping find this Christmas...






...well, favorite widely available thing, anyway.





These marvelous china cups are the absolute best for coffee, tea and pretty much any hot drink you could want. My dear friend Rosie from England turned me on to these beakers*, and they are a wonderfully generous size, feel lovely in the hand, and are available emblazoned in 18th century-style initials from Amazon.com. In fact, they promise a pre-Christmas delivery is still possible.






My policy on gifting is just like going to the store hungry or like that pre-flight spiel from the cabin crew. Don't shop for groceries on an empty stomach. You know they say when the oxygen mask drops from the overhead to pop one on yourself before snapping one on the passengers/children around you? Well, how can you properly gift others if you haven't gifted yourself? I'm just saying. Plus you probably need to test efficacy and make sure you're giving quality products to others. It's the only way to be sure.

*blink* *blink*
By the way, the last time I bought a mug exactly like this, it was at Awahnee Hotel in Yosemite, and the previous time I saw one of these was at the gift shop in the city of Rochester, Kent museum. Oddly enough, I found a set of 4 mugs in exactly this style [but different decoration] from the same maker, Rosanna, this weekend at a greatly discounted rate at Tuesday Morning. Great stuff!
*Rosie called them beakers, so I'm guessing that's an English thing. I like it, too, because it makes me think of Dr. Bunsen Honeydew's assistant/guinea pig/Igor

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Heh- the bigger the better, especially this time of year :-) And yes they look nice!

NotClauswitz said...

Tuesday Morning! Looks big enough to be a shaving mug!

Vinogirl said...

I love them, what a great look alone. Thud is our family's mug aficiando...I think he would approve.

Nancy R. said...

Thanks! These will make perfect gifts for the 18th century historian-types in my life. Oh, and for me. I bought one for me, too!