Thursday, July 29, 2010

uh, hi. I'm phlegmfatale and I'm a workaholic.


I'm not addicted.

I can quit anytime.

Last pay period I had about 25 hours of overtime. And no one asked me to do any overtime, either. I just sort of... did it. But my work got done and that matters to me, for some reason. Actually, this job is SOOOOO much better than the last one that 12 hours here seems like, oh, 4 hours at the last one. Not so much drudgery.

True, my puppies don't complain about it-- always happy to see me-- but I do feel like I'm looking at the world through a cubicle, sometimes. I'm walking in the circle with blinders on. Yeah, it's like that scene from Conan except I'm not buffing up or anything. I'm just there with my iced tea i.v. drip, eyes glazing over looking at the screen for hours and hours.

Clearly, I have GOT to get some cubicle art. Was considering some fantasy art near-pr0n stuff with painted on chain-mail bikinis and tentacles and stuff, but the company is pretty conservative and I think would frown upon such things... I dunno-- macrame owls? Popsicle stick art?

I must say I'm very tempted by Albino Bowler painting from Archie McPhee.com. Or there's the inflatable van Gogh painting, but that may be too much bordering on classy. *aherm* I may have to come up with some paintings of my own. This could get interesting. Watch this space for more fruity goodness.

8 comments:

Jon said...

I think you need to step up to classy and get an inflatable "Starry Night". It's Van Gogh and classier than the velvet painting of the dogs playing cards, although that is one of my favorites.

Have you thought of a small lava lamp?

Old NFO said...

Meh.. thought that was an Albino Elvis... :-)

Midwest Chick said...

You can never go wrong with the Classic Velvet Elvis......

homebru said...

It's hard to improve on the classic "Dogs playing poker", but how about this? http://www.eleganthorsepictures.com/thomas-grand.html

Crucis said...

For years, I put in 55-70 hour weeks to get the job done. I was salaried and didn't get any extra pay. When I took the job, my boss told me I could have all the overtime I wanted to get the job done. He didn't promise any pay for it.

For many, that's the standard American work ethic. I'm not sorry. It was fun while it lasted---18 years.

Anonymous said...

Go to http://despair.com and consider adding a Demotivational poster to your wall.

Antibubba

Ann diPomazio said...

Um...I might just have to get the inflatable Van Gogh painting for my art classroom.

My vote is for the Albino Bowler I have too have longed for him. Its bound bring out the Dude in anyone who takes a gander.

Tam said...

I think I'm in love with the inflatable van Gogh.