Thursday, July 01, 2010

Nuthin' says lovin' like...

Friday at work is pie versus cake in the world series of baked goods. There's this one cake I make from scratch. Got the recipe from me Ma, and it is toe-curlingly good, if I may say so. It's one of those recipes that helps you understand what an exact science baking can be. Baking soda. Baking powder. Ingredients blended in stages an in just a certain order. At the end, stiff-peaked egg whites are folded in, and this effects a magical texture in the finished product.

When I heard of the contest last week, I confess an animal thrill rushed through me as I realized I at last had the perfect occasion to liberate my big kitchen aid mixer from the storage unit. I haven't baked since I left my loft in spring of last year. Perhaps it is cliched, but it seems quite natural to me to love making lovely things for other people to eat. When making those things involves using a brilliantly engineered favorite tool like my mixer, the joy is compounded.




I admit I'd love to win the contest tomorrow, but I think I had the real prize when I got to see liquid and powder and eggs and extracts transform into a little loaf of delightments.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Buck said...

Well, I'm not one to judge a workman by her tools, but that mixer says Good Things about ya, Phlegmmy. You WILL let us know the outcome, right?

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Aw, food is love. And fun, food is definitely fun.

May you have more occasions to use the kitchenaid - I hear they're wonderful at kneading bread dough with the paddle attachment!

breda said...

what, no recipe?