Saturday, July 10, 2010

Nice work, if you can get it...


So with my job, I was sort of thrown into the deep end during the start of the busiest season of the year, and I've just completed my 6th week. It's been a little tough at times, but I've actually enjoyed it. I've sort of messed a few things up, but my boss has shrugged that off and said that I'm still in the learning curve and that I'm actually doing quite well. She's supportive and that makes a huge difference.

This job is a complete break from all of my previous customer service experience. This is one where nothing is soft-pedaled-- we try to accommodate customers, but we are an industry with some cold, hard realities and sometimes we just have to tell people they'll have to deal with it. Tough love, I suppose. I like it. It's refreshing to know there's some place left where a company will not try to appease unreasonable people with unrealistic expectations. My previous customer service work experience has been cast in the tone of we know you're upset, and please don't hate us and how can we make you less mad at us. Grow up.

One nice thing, though, is that the relationship with the customer from beginning to end of the transaction can be anywhere from a couple weeks to a span of a few months, so even the supremely unpleasant ones are short-lived. In that time, their order is set up with someone else and soon after I make an introduction call wherein I review the fine points and make sure the vendors they'll work with can meet their needs. In most cases, it's actually rather pleasant, but inevitably, there will be those who decide they'd prefer a more complicated process, and then it becomes a herding-cats proposition. In such cases, the best thing is to say as little as possible, to deliver what was offered, and to keep communication brief.

What's wild is that if I go in and work as hard as I can for a full 8 hours and don't take breaks, I'll be behind. What's wilder is that I don't mind working this overtime-- it's very busy and I love the manic pace of it-- it's energizing. Monday I'm going in 3 hours early to make sure the East coasters are taken care of. This is fun. :) It's nice to wake up and not dread the tasks ahead of me at work every day, for a change.

6 comments:

Christina RN LMT said...

Hooray for job satisfaction! Go, Phlegmmy!

Lawyer said...

Good for you! Nowadays, finding a job is a challenge, let alone finding one you enjoy.

Matt G said...

Happily anticipating hard work is a nice thing, isn't it? It puts you, by the way, well ahead of 90% of the population.

Holla!

Shannon said...

It is very awesome when you can enjoy what you do for a living! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

HiI Came over from Attilia's. I love to read this post. It is so nice to hear that you have found a job that you not only enjoy, but also gives you energy. A supportive boss is a real bonus. I hope this turns out to be a keeper and a long term, happy employment!
Cheryl

Old NFO said...

Good for you Phlegmmy, you 'deserve' to actually get a job you like! :-)