Monday, March 24, 2008

Recently I met a waitress who once worked at Aw Shucks on Lower Greenville until about 14 years ago. Aw Shucks was owned by a guy named Dirty Bob and his partner Sam.



After Dirty Bob died, Sam sold Aw Shucks and now runs Fish on Fire near Belt Line/Preston.



I asked the waitress why they called him Dirty Bob, and she rolled her eyes and said he was a terrible mess, that you never knew what offensive thing he was going to come up with next.



She said one day two women were at Aw Shucks and one of the women had enormous breasts, and the other was extremely pretty, so Dirty Bob walked up to the table and said "now if we could have your tits to go along with her face, we'd have the perfect woman."



She said she liketa died of embarrassment, and comped the meal for both women.



Dirty, indeed!
***********************

Bringing up the subject of brazen tactlessness gives me the opportunity to say something I've been wanting to own up to here for a long time.

Despite my pretenses of being the brassy sort, I can be waaaay too much of a soft touch. I tend to take everyone at face value until given reason to regard them otherwise. Sometimes, though, I say things which may give the opposite impression-- that I'm a ruthless and withering critic. Every once in a while I think of something I've written in the blog which was intended as an archly self-deprecating remark, but which may have read as a dig at someone other than myself. I really hate to hurt anyone's feelings, and I generally take pains to try to avoid doing so. One of the problems of communicating purely via text is that tone can be very difficult to convey. All of this is by way of saying that if I've said something which offended you, most likely it was not intended to be so. If someone takes umbrage at a careless remark I've made, then I appreciate the opportunity to clarify my thoughts on the subject.

Some things such as my right to defend myself with a firearm or to speak my mind are not things I will ever apologize for, though.
Have a nice day.

12 comments:

Christina RN LMT said...

Dirty? I'd say so! The man needs a brain/mouth filter.

I know exactly what you mean...sometimes I'll e-mail somebody, then worry about how they'll take the e-mail. So far, everyone I've ever contacted has taken things the way I've meant them, knock on wood!
I'm very uncontroversial on my blog...I don't like confrontation or discord. At least, not directed towards ME! That's why I only average 24 hits a day (half of which, at least, are me, checking up on comments)!

Carteach said...

"Some things such as my right to defend myself with a firearm or to speak my mind are not things I will ever apologize for, though."


I put that in quotes because it should be, and repeated often.

Well said.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

That's okay...no offense taken.

Buck said...

All of this is by way of saying that if I've said something which offended you...

We're good-to-go here... nothing's offended me. Well 'cept maybe the time or two I've had to turn my head REAL quick so as not to destroy the keyboard with nostril-squirted coffee and such. ;-)

Tam said...

That's secretly one of my biggest fears, too.

I'm always afraid that I accidentally offend more people before 9AM than most folks do all day. :o

phlegmfatale said...

christina - Yeah, wasn't that horrid of him? I couldn't sleep at night if I went around saying vicious things to people. The shocking bit is he probably thought he was complimenting both women. Ew.
I would agree that you don't go out on a limb and proceed to saw it off behind yourself the way I do. I do know you to be an incredibly sweet and kind person. That said, I'd never want to piss you off!

carteach - damn skippy!

mushy - :)

buck - aw, heck! I love knowing you've had a couple giggles at my blog!

tam - wow, then I'm in good company (the very best, in fact). I suppose this fear of offending is the high price of snarkery. Having a reputation as a cast-iron bitch does have its benefits, but occasionally, my inner lamb wants a little acknowledgement.

Rabbit said...

I usually don't piss off too many folks until around noon. That's when the aphasia wears off after a massive amount of coffee. Once that happens I get rolling pretty quickly on the whole 'stirring up hate and discontent' process for the day.

Yum. Fish on Fire. One of our favorite dives as far as fish food.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Anonymous said...

I think that man needs a mouth cleansing. What a dirty bird.

You are too sweet to hurt anyone's feelings here.

Attila the Mom said...

eh, you're a real sweetheart and your heart's always in the right place. This is a tough medium to always get what we mean to say across.

Love you and your blog!

Christina RN LMT said...

Sweet and kind? Are you sure you're talking about me?

*blushes*

I know for a fact that I've never read your blog and thought, "Wow, that was mean, she really crossed the line there."

Usually I'm laughing too hard to think at all...

Lin said...

I get to feeling the same way, thinking that I must have inadvertantly said something. I guess a lot of us feel that way at times but it's usually not the case at all.

phlegmfatale said...

rabbit - I've noticed that I'm able to piss off folks round the clock, and always when I least expect it.
Shoulda know'd you liked FIsh on Fire - neat place, that.

lainy - I wish I never had and I wouldn't intentionally, but as I said, I know I've said things about myself that may have come off as criticizing others. :(

attila - aw shucks, thanks!

christina - I'm glad you get a giggle out of my antics

lin - Well, it comforts me to know that I'm not the only one who has these sorts of thoughts...