Thursday, August 09, 2007

OK, just a little quick update. I'm feeling better, but I'm pretty weak.

Tonight I learned that with the mere sacrifice of the room phone, I can access dial-up of my home internet stuff, and here I be!

I'm kinda shaky, prolly won't bother fixing typos. Took my painkillaz, and I'm off to sleep in a few minutes.

This hospital is really nice. Most of the staff are incredible. There is one eeeeeeevil thing going on here, though, and I have to bitch.

The one time I turned on the tv to find a news station (couldn't, but found about 8 sports channels) I learned the speakers are on the bed rails next to the ears of the patient. The patient can turn the sound off utterly, but not turn them down on a very low setting. I have no intention of turning it on again, so this won't be a problem.

What IS a problem is that the intercom system for the floor is piped through those speakers. So if Nurse Discoboy gets a call, Lilypad at reception will page him through this system, the dulcet tones of her not-ready-for-radio voice waking everyone up, whether or not their speakers are on.


I brought my clock-radio with ocean sounds, and I turn it up and listen to the ocean all night. About 4am, the nurses sound like a monkey-house out there. The loudness of the voice is directly proportionate to how annoying the speaker is, I've noticed.

So, yeah, the ocean drowns them. Will write more tomorrow.

Thanks for all the well-wishes, people. This has been a strange experience, yet has been oddly comforting, all the support of family, friends and all you sexy bloggers.


Anonymous said...

I love you, I'll try to think of something yummy to bring you. see ya soon, squeeky A

Barbara Bruederlin said...

She's alive!

I wonder whose bright idea that was to blast the intercom directly into the ears of sick people. Somebody's going to burn for that one.

Hang in there, toots!

Kevin said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend. Keep it up and get yerself home.
Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you are doing better. Hospital noise is the pitts. Just take that pain med,listen to the ocean and try to rest.
Sending more hugs.

FatQuarterQuiltFarm said...

Yeeaaaay Phlemmy!!

Thanks for the update!! My sympathies with the speaker nonsense...WTF??Glad to see you're back (almost) to your finely tuned self......

NotClauswitz said...

Sounds like you're not forced to share a room - with a patient who has a lot of visitors who stay until too-late, eating (and littering the floor) food they brought and watching Tyra Banks Show on the tube, loudly.
My wife had a "procedure" early this year and the Hostilepital conditions speedily compelled her towards an early release... Get well.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back on line, RPhlemmy. And, as much as we miss you, please, PLEASE, don't get all worn out trying to keep up the blog. Your JOB ONE in the hospital is to get well. No, not better, but to make a full and complete recovery.

Miz H says hi.

Kelly said...

Poor girl. How long they gonna keep you in the nuthouse?

When you get out and feel better, we need to celebrate.

Attila the Mom said...

...thinking of you!

Christina RN LMT said...

Don't leave the hospital too soon, but you WILL recover quickly and completely once you get home.
Doglet misses you!
And...YAAAAAY, I'm a sexy blogger, Phlegmmy said so!