Tuesday, December 14, 2010

school starts in one month...

About a month ago I set the wheels in motion to go back to school. I applied, had transcripts sent, went to a little orientation thingie and I'm all set to take one or two classes in the spring semester. Most of the prerequesites have been fulfilled by my earlier times in school, but I still have a couple to get out of the way, worst of which is the algebra requirement, so I'm eating the frog and taking that on next semester. I may only take that class, but we'll see.


Midday Monday I left work and went to wait in line to register for classes, which was a requirement for new students. When I arrived, there were about 20 people ahead of me. No big deal, right? I waited for 2 and a half hours. The younger students were whining and blathering. I thought how the guy playing some song on his phone repeatedly should be publicly beaten, and I gasped with astonishment when the young mother took her herself and her infant away from the line when the cooing baby transitioned to wailing siren. *whew*


I played Scrabble for 2 hours. I decided if this is the worst discomfiture the next couple years' study affords, then it won't be too bad. Still, I could just feel my work piling up back at the office. Most of the other folks in line were much younger than me, and I felt more like a dinosaur than usual. Still, I'll tuck in the task and see where it takes me. Sorry if this seems like I'm congratulating myself. I don't feel like I'm doing something bold and groundbreaking, but I did feel a teeny bit exultant that I didn't just blow it off and keep settling for whatever (poorly compensated) jobs the local economy will bear for my uncredentialed skill set. This is going to be a lot of work. I think I deserve to whine a teeny bit here. :P

9 comments:

Christina RN LMT said...

woo-HOO, Phlegmmy!
I know you'll do brilliantly.

Tarb said...

Yay Phlegmmie! I hope this turns out well for you. Don't believe the dinosaur nonsense for a second. In all the classes I've sporadically taken, it's always the mature students (who've been out in the real world and seen what it's like) who've been the most motivated and worked the hardest! As to the doofus with the phone, don't you have some PJ Harvey on yours that you could blast him with in retaliation?

Keads said...

Cograts to you! Don't worry about the dino stuff, I agree with Tarb. I see it every semester.

Vinogirl said...

Bravo.
Going back to school, and studying something I was really interested in this time, was one of the best things I have ever done. Much more satisfying then when I was a teenager. Now I can't imagine not taking a class of some sort.

Anonymous said...

good luck :)

B

Mrs. Widget said...

I'm a non traditional student graduate.

I'm doing what I love now.
Study hard!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Well done, you! I am sending you algebra vanquishing vibes, which I have actually never possessed myself. Enjoy!

NotClauswitz said...

Good luck! I took a few classes in HTML and 3D-Graphics and other stuff while in-between jobs a while back, but I gradually came to hate it and the College environment and I couldn't go back now.
As an algebra 'tard since 1975 and a University fail-twice in pre-calculus, Math is just kinda a non-starter.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

I was almost 40 when I finished mine.

Algebra is a set of rules. No shortcut to putting them to memory; I tried.

ben