Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Decking the halls

In that wonderful way of things, concessions must be made. I am not using my longstanding tree in favor of another tree which at least attempts to approximate the look of an actual, well, tree. The other tree was fabulous, but new beginnings here call for something new. Problem is, though, that concern for budget is at a premium this year. Therefore, I've gotten a nice little artificial tree at the dollar store for about $20, and I think it looks perfectly lovely.
Oh, and another fab find this weekend was this lovely wool rug I found at a yard sale for $30. It's large and looks like it was made for the colors in the house here. Other lucky detail is that teh puppehs didn't seem concerned with it one way or another. Once I bought a carpet at a department store and brought it home, unrolled it proudly and Valentine promptly copped a squat on it-- I concluded that someone else bought it, their dog sullied it and that pretty much guaranteed my dog would do the same. That pretty much put me off fooling with rugs any more, and I feared I'd get this one home only to have someone leave a calling-card on it, but at $30, it seemed worth risking disappointment. Not so. The doglings soon found it was a nice place to wallow about and scratch backs, but otherwise it didn't seem to rate a leg-lift. Yay!
Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

8 comments:

Christina RN LMT said...

It's beautiful! Both the tree and the rug. :)

Vinogirl said...

All looks very festive.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

The rug looks great, even with doggie droppings to grace it and welcome it home. That little corner of your home looks so utterly Christmassy, it makes me want to break out the rum eggnog!

Anonymous said...

I resorted to artificial several years ago, less mess and it saves money and allergy issues. We have ours walled off with baby gates because of a 65 pound 7 month old dobie pup! She seems to think it's a giant toy just for her.

J.R.Shirley said...

It looks lovely.

I have a twinge of nostalgia and wishing a bit for a tree, but I have other good things.

Happy Holidays.

Old NFO said...

Very nice, beats the hell outta my foot high fake tree (limb)... :-)

charlotte g said...

Lovely. I just got two rugs for my new old house, and have put off dog-shopping till warmer weather precisely because of my concerns for the rugs. AND bought my first artifical tree cum lights for a fuss free and allergy free Christmas this year. The picture really makes me smile. Happy!

Keads said...

Nice tree you have there!