Thursday, December 09, 2010

*much eye-rolling*

Did you hear about Pete Sampras' tennis trophies being stolen from a Public Storage space in Los Angeles a few weeks ago?

He says the loss “is like having the history of my tennis life taken away.”

Honestly, are you going to bung your most precious mementos into a mere storage locker if they really mean that much to you? I think not. Even if they never catch the person wot done it, there's a strong likelihood Pete will be reunited with his very distinctive and well-noted trophies because, well, they are bloody engraved, ain't they? While I'm completely sympathetic to how very awful it feels to have your things looted, I think it's a little silly to say the loss of the trophies is like all that history never happened.

I googled Pete Sampras and Google told me it had more than 759,000 results. I suppose they must mean some other, less forgettable Pete Sampras, eh? Somehow, I think that ever-so-slightly overshadows a few silver bowls and service for 48 in crystal plates. Maybe I'm not looking at it right, but I think the fact that his place in [recent] history is pretty well cemented.

Then again, a big ole space rock might be hurtling for us at any minute and nothing of this will matter anyhoo.

No comments: