Friday, April 28, 2006


Took my leetle doggie to the vet today to have her teeth cleaned, and ruh roh raggy - she had to have 3 teeth pulled. In dog years she's 72. Problem is, I don' t think we can go the denture route if she ends up losing all of them. I guess we'll start brushing them or getting them cleaned more often. Anyhoo, she also had a little cyst on her shoulder that had to be removed, and she's kind of groaning and twitching, so I've given her some pain medication. This is tough for me, because she is such a butch little thing that almost nothing makes her cry out in pain - not shots - not being stepped on - so I don't like seeing her in a diminished state. Hopefully she'll snap out of it quickly. I prefer seeing her as the little ball-busting bitch with the natural bulletproof spirit of tequila at half the calories. My kinda gal.

I get my retainers for my teeth tomorrow. The top retainer will have red and blue sparkle resin, and the bottom retainer will be baby-aspirin orange sparkle resin. The bottom will have a little penguin sticker embedded, and the top will have a pair of bunnies and a little pig. CUTE! Now I can mesmerize little kids by saying "I have a penguin in my mouth - wanna see?"

Babies and little bitty kids have always been drawn to me, for some reason. I think it's the shape of my face - expressive, big blue eyes- they do that to my dad, too. Then again, maybe me and my dad are so delighted by the sight of little kids that it's a mutual admiration society. Walking into Jason's Deli tonight, a newly-walking little girl in a bubble-suit teetered excitedly to the door and grinned at me like she'd been waiting all day just to see me. Her mother scooped her up even as she was still reaching for me. Then the little 2 year old in the high chair at the next table kept flirting with me and jabbering to me about her food. It was cute. I figure if little babies like you, well, you can't be all bad. I guess babies know fun people when they see them, and as I've said before, I'm always delighted to see someone who's willing to play along. Life is sweet!

10 comments:

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Usually small children and animals run from me in abject horror...

No, not really. They do the same thing to me... I'm forever smiling at some little guy/girl in the shopping cart in front of me at the Kroger's, playing peek-a-boo and stuff.

It's neat, and never stops making me smile.

Tickersoid said...

Doesn't look like a little dog. In fact it looks like Satans Vindicator.

Just look at those teeth!

Makes me think of 'Jaws' cello music.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Hope your poor pup is back in fine form very soon. Nothing hurts more than to see your babies hurting.

For some reason teenagers act that way around me.

phlegmfatale said...

rangertom- it's easy to see kids as delightful little creatures as long as you don't have to be involved in their housebreaking, I suppose.

tickersoid - I confess, that's a doggie tooth-cleaning photo I found online - mine's a little Jack Russell Terrorist, so she's a mini-Satan's vindicator. Trust me, you'd love her.

barbara - Thanks - she was sawing logs when I left this AM. I could imagine teenagers are drawn to you - I'll bet you're a super-cool mom.

Liz said...

Children like you because you like them! You are always happy to see them and you don't talk down to them (I loathe the whole baby talk thing - how is anyone supposed to learn to speak correctly if all they ever hear is gitchy gitchy goo?) but neither do you treat them as tiny adults.

phlegmfatale said...

why thank you kindly, liz. I have to say it is a particular point of pride with me that your little bean is obsessive about a piece of her jewelry that I made. My kind of gal!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I think teenagers are drawn to me because they sense the evil in my heart. They like that kind of thing. Unlike babies.

phlegmfatale said...

barbara - WOT! Surely it's not the evil - I think I got a double-dose of that!

FatQuarterQuiltFarm said...

All our(Pushka,Rudy and Chewie) best to Doglet. Hope she is up and bitchin in no time. And ...I have to admit I'm jealous of the sparkly retainers....I want a sparkly night guard!!!!!!!

phlegmfatale said...

nongirlfriend - thanks hon - it takes one to know one, and dog people are the most fun

schnoobie - thanks - doglet is well on the mend, I'm happy to report. it's tuesday a.m. now, and the retainers are less torturous by now, to my relief