Wednesday, April 12, 2006


By popular demand, here is a photo of one of my pieces. I call my style neo-trashical. This piece is comprised of copper, glass, pearls, garnets, Thai Hilltribe silver and Indonesian sterling silver. None of the beads in this piece are my glass beads, but this is a great example of my own warped take on baroque classicism. The necklace was brilliantly photographed by Dallas artist/Renaissance man Jackson Bailey. You can find out more about this brilliant artist at his site here. His lovely wife Lisa Bailey is a talented artist in her own right and her creations are for sale at The Ole Moon in Dallas on lower Greenville.
After I changed my mind about moving to NYC to take the next step in pursuing my career as an operatic singer, we moved to a loft in 2000. We found out our neighbors, Lisa and Jackson, had met at the same sushi place in Dallas in 1993 one week after husband and I met there. They met early July, and we met late June. Lisa and Jackson were married in September, and we wed the following February. It was just funny to happen into people who had remarkably similar experiences to our own yet we'd never met before. Anyway, they are a gorgeous couple, and some of the kindest and best people you could ever meet.
I'm on my way to Arkansas early Wednesday morning. If I can, I'll pop back in for a post sometime during my trip. Everyone have a great week and I hope you're all having beautiful weather like we're having here - it's been achingly lovely out. Y'all take care of yourselves.

13 comments:

LJ said...

That's a gorgeous piece, PF. Better yet, it comes with a good story and an hilarious style name. Although "trashical" is hardly what the necklace is..
It's lovely.

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Have a great weekend!

phlegmfatale said...

Wow, thanks! Glad you like it. You always say nice things! Well, it is a bit of a study in contradictions, as copper is not generally thought of as a fine setting for pearls and semi-precious, and the loop on the pendant is intentionally crude. I had fun making it. I plan to make a lot more of these soon. I've got big plans for production schedule when I get back into town in 3 or 4 days. I'll be posting that, too, though I'll never take photos as well as Jackson.

and thanks, ranger tom.

Heather B said...

I love the necklace! I doubt I could pull of something so hip though :)

Have a good weekend!

Liz said...

Love you and take care. My sympathies to you and yours.

Kelly said...

Oh, awesome and beautiful. I love your work!

Have yourself a safe trip.

Anonymous said...

I like them already. Enjoy AR.

CP said...

Gorgeous piece!

Have a great trip, dollbaby! See you when you get back! I'll be laying on my couch in a drug induced haze.

Envy me, won't you? *L*

CP.

Jay Noel said...

You are a talented artist yourself. That is incredible work.

Heather B said...

I wish I had the balls to carry something so fun ... I am always sporting the same silver hoops and of course my wedding ring.

Too cool.

Tam said...

That is really groovy!

Being as creative as a tree stump myself, the creations of you artsy folk always leave me agog...

phlegmfatale said...

liz - you're sweet, thanks.

o.g. - thanks, hon. be back soon.

lightning bug's butt - thanks!

cp - thanks. at moments, I HAVE envied your drug-induced haze this week!

non-girlfriend - I have some glass bead stuff (but not like this necklace) at Kittrell-Riffkind Art Glass Gallery in Dallas, and soon to be in Durango at Arapaho and Coit in RIchardson

phoenix - thanks,hon!

heather - you might surprise yourself if you got into the habit of creating things...

tam - your writing is pretty creative!

Kim Carney said...

I want one! Are u selling them somewhere ;)