Thursday, September 04, 2008

I have shopping mojo. I'm a smart shopper and my keen eye comes across some fantastic things, now and again. I learned a long time ago if there's something I rilly rilly want, best to buy it-- I can always return it if I have buyer's remorse. Better to regret something you have bought than to regret something you didn't buy-- the purchase that got away. This is particularly true with stuff in junk stores-- you may, in fact, never come across the identical antlered lazy susan with matching S&P shakers and chainsaw caddy. Often when I'm on the horns of a dilemma about whether to buy or not, when I finally make up my mind and come back for it, it's usually been snapped up by another savvy shopper who recognized a golden opportunity when they saw it. My belief is this one item which sat dusty lo those many moons had acquired a sheen by virtue of my shopping mojo which settled on its surface when I cast a favorable eye thereupon.

Funny how things work out.

Me and Miss Praline went to the Dallas Humane Society to meet Bruce about 5 on Wednesday afternoon. Before I left work, I called them and asked if I could come up and meet him, the 3-legged guy, and they said "sure!" Had a hard time finding the place-- Irving Blvd gets a bit wonky over there-- but finally arrived. I left the pup in the car to go check things out. Walked in to find that a family had just come in after I called and brought their dog. The whole family loved Bruce, and so did their dog, so Bruce had a home.

I got my shopping mojo on him. Maybe I need to do that for more dogs that need a home. I am so happy for him. I knew if he and Praline and I all got along, I'd really have my hands full. I need to work more on getting my place organized before getting the second dog. I knew if I met Bruce, that most likely I wouldn't be able to resist, and I think things probably worked out for the best for him. Bless his furry little heart! What a fine boy.

You can see Bruce here in the bottom row of successful adoptions, dated 9/3/2008.

2 comments:

Mauser*Girl said...

Awww... sorry to hear Bruce got snatched up before you and Praline had a chance to meet him, but at least he has a good new home. Which is something I'll cheer for - that's what it's all about.

Have you considered looking at breed rescues in your area? A rescue can be a much better place to find a dog that will fit into your existing family than a shelter, because rescues keep dogs in foster homes and generally know their temperaments and how the dogs interact with other dogs and people so much better. That could help you find a perfect match.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Bruce is rather adorable, I'm not surprised he got scooped up right away.