Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Thanks for making it funky, James Brown

What a fun performer James Brown was. He breaks it on down in the hoofing department at about the 2 minute mark on this clip. Lots of wisdom here: Get up offa that thing, and shake it: you'll feel better.
Why not?
Anyway, long may his funky ass wave! "I feel good" is of course, an all-time classic, but "Get up offa that thing" captures his spirit, too. I'm sorry he died this weekend, but I'm so glad he was here. Here's to those among us who are always of good cheer - they light the way.

We had a fabulous Christmas. Niece loved the herd of Breyer horses auntie Phlegm got her, and nephew was excited by the remote-control robot dinosaur. The ones that really hit it out of the park, though, were when he opened his pack of 2 light sabers and exclaimed "this can't be legal!" That's apparently a line from some video game he plays, but it brought down the house. The other top giftie was what my mom got niece in the form of a Barbie with a dog which ate little magnetic pellets of food and then pooped them out when you lift his tail. Then there's a little magnetic poop scooper. I think she played with that for about half an hour at least, before I left their house on Christmas Eve.

It was a great weekend, and so nice to have some lovely time with family. I got shoes for 3 of the 4 men at the top of my list, and they all liked them and they all happened to fit. Luck.

Lazed about all afternoon/evening on Christmas at mom and dad's watching old movies including the superb 1945"A Tree Grows In Brooklyn". I was misty several times in this movie, and tears rolled down my cheeks more than once - brilliantly written and performed - very touching. I always feel incredibly content at mom&pop's. It's very nice, too, to come out on the other side of Christmas feeling all the stress and rushing about was totally worth it.

I hope you all had a grand time, too.

9 comments:

FHB said...

He sure was cool. I guess the majic of video means we'll never really lose him.

Just Another Old Geezer said...

Yeah, JB brought a smile to my face when I'd hear him. And a laugh out loud when I would see him do his "thang" on the TV box. And your niece and nephew sure are lucky. Every kid needs a "crazy aunt". And I say that in a good way. I had one and loved her dearly.

Anonymous said...

Happy holidays, Phlegm!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your Christmas was a happy one. I'll be writing my 2nd After action report later.

Anonymous said...

Apparently, my mom was not alone in watching this movie. You should read the book...it's incredible writing.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Too fun! You had some way awesome toys to play with over Christmas, even if they did leave with the niece and nephew.

RIP Godfather.

Kelly said...

We had a great Christmas, thank you!

Ahhhh, Mr. James Brown. His lyrics may not have been complicated (or diverse), but that man could FEEL the music. He had some happy feet!

Anonymous said...

Your Christmas sounds fantastic!!! So glad you had a great time.

I hope JB doesn't rest in peace or on his thing, but continues to shake it up there.

Heather B said...

Sounds like you had a great holiday ... pooper scooper and all :)