Friday, October 22, 2010

Whoopsie! [accidental gun pR0n???]

Uh.

I was talking on the phone this week several times with someone in another branch of the company. We discussed guns we liked, and a volley of emails ensued. I mentioned a rifle that I want, and said that in truth, the vast majority of my practice has been with handguns because most of my early shooting was done in Dallas at a pistol club where rifles weren't allowed. The tradeoff was worthwhile, I said, because while that aspect was limiting, it was a club which likewise limited membership and where I knew I could safely go alone without worrying about rubbing elbows with thugs or gangbangers.

Nothing really objectionable about that, right?

I got a notice immediately that my outgoing email had been quarantined for profanity. I went back through and scanned what I'd written, all the while enjoying that sinking feeling where you wonder if something with no nefarious intentions could get you called on the carpet or worse with an employer.

Anyway, I hope there won't be any echoes of unpleasantness resulting from my (now I realize) poor choice of words. I thought the term "gangbanger" had entered into the vernacular as a common reference to lowbrow no-account gang-affiliated ne'er-do-wells, so it just didn't occur to me to think of this in the context of something which might be considered sexual in nature.

I got an auto-response email from the head of the IT department after the initial gotcha email. Monday my boss emailed me a picture of him with his .50 caliber, so I'm hopeful he'll turn a blind eye...

4 comments:

Jon said...

The IT department probably uses a program that detects objectionable words and sends an email to the offender. If not, that means some IT dweeb is surfing the email, while getting their jollies from being a low class asswipe.

Maybe it's time you used your CD tray for a cup holder, or intentially unplug some wires from the back of your computer to play with their heads.

Shannon said...

I, for one, am absolutely appalled...me being a self proclaimed thug and all that...
:-)

SCI-FI said...

re: boss's picture:

Good thing you didn't mention something like creamed corn wrestling. Cuz a pic of your boss doing that would have been gross.

Cliff47 said...

Sounds like your boss has you covered...