Friday, November 09, 2007

Someone decided to correct my grammar this week. You know, 95% of my grammatical goofs are done intentionally, and the other 5% I couldn't give the southern end of a north-bound rat whether or not they are correct. Honestly.
Of course, this classic gem comes to mind:

A girl from Texas and a girl from New York were seated side by side on an airplane. The girl from Texas, being friendly and all, said: “So, where y’all from?”

The girl from New York said: “From a place where they know better than to use a preposition at the end of a sentence.”

The girl from Texas sat quietly for a few moments and then replied: “So, where y’all from, BITCH?”

GOlly, sleep deprivation is for the young. *yawn* Longer post tomorrow.


Tam said...

Yay! One of my favorite jokes. ;)

Christina RN LMT said...

Phlegm, you know how o.c.d. (hah, "o.c.d.", the new "anal"!) I am about spelling, grammar, etc.

But I find it the height of presumption to come onto someone else's blog and correct any error one might find.

That's like being graciously invited into someone's home and proceeding to disparage their choice of decor.

Tacky, tacky!

Anyway, I may have issues with MY making mistakes, but I also still have issues with English punctuation rules. problem! But I still hesitate when placing commas when writing English.

Too bad there's no "comma-check"!

DBA Dude said...

Almost fell off my perch laughing.

Have a long lie in tomorrow.

none said...

The only one that makes me cringe is loose when they mean lose.

But I still keep my mouth shut when I see it 50 times a day. ;D

Buck said...

The only one that makes me cringe is loose when they mean lose.

Agreed on that, Hammer. But I have many more that get me exercised...example: its, it's, and general mis-use of apostrophes to indicate the plural. Argggh!

I was a technical writer/editor in one of my past lives and proper use of the language remains a serious hot-button with me. But the only people I correct are my sons, and that's my God-given right, not to mention duty! Christine is correct: it's bad form to criticize others in their own space.

Becky said...

Hehe -- I hadn't heard that one before.

I don't correct peoples' grammar b/c we're all prone to make a mistaken now and then. But then, I have a friend that's renown for her bad grammar and we still never say anything, but just kind of laugh about it behind her back. Is that bad?

Anonymous said...

That's rude to correct your grammar. I'll keep it to myself what I'd do in your position. Don't they have anything else to do? Geeze what whiners.

Loved the joke. ;)

phlegmfatale said...

tam - mine too, and for a long time, now.

christina - well, I think it's very arrogant, and difficult to do graciously. I don't want to appear ignorant, but at the same time, I'm not auditioning for a writing gig here, either. This is for FUN. Enjoyment.

dba dude - it's been a most restorative weekend, thank you!

hammer - that one gets me, too, but I do keep my mouth shut - heaven knows I've glanced at my blog later and seen appalling typos *sheesh*

buck - so THAT's why you're such a good writer? Well, all the more compliment that you like mine. Glad you trouble yourself to come here.

becky - I suppose it's okay to laugh - I mean, it's a sticky wicket, innit?

lainy - I agree. Yeah, they need to get a life and stay out of mine.

Meg said...

Southern end of a north-bound rat? Anyone know if blogs are eligible for the Pulitzer, or is this another one of those beautiful Southern sayings?