Wednesday, December 03, 2008



Sorry for the crap lighting, but here's some more stuff. The olive pearl and crystal necklace from a few weeks ago needed earrings, I thought, so I whipped these up late Tuesday night. I had a bear of a time finding some 24 ga wire that would go through the teeniest pearl holes, but I dug and dug and finally came up with some. It was water everywhere and not a drop to drink because I had to dig through pounds of sterling and fine silver bezel and bead wire, stuff like that, just to find the regular wire.
By the way, sterling is .925 pure, whereas fine silver is .999. Fine silver is great because it never tarnishes. Sterling will tarnish because of that other .075% metal in the mix, but I think that other metal helps make it harder. I could be wrong, though. I love Karen Hill Tribe silver from the remotest areas of Thailand, because it's usually fine silver and it has a whitish, burnished sort of quality. Plus, I generally like tribal jewelry anyway because it's so interesting. Other tribal stuff I love is Nagaland, Tekke and Tuareg tribes from Asia and Africa. Grand stuff.
Yup, the photo background is a terry cloth washrag. I know: fancy.

For some time I'd been craving a strand of irregular, mismatched white pearls for myself, so I strung these up a few days ago. I wore them Monday for the first time, and they are a nice comfortable length and look dressy but not too fussy. I'm pretty pleased with the progression of my pearl knotting. I'm still working with silk, but one of these days I'll try some synthetic thread and see how it makes up. I have my particular tastes and dislikes, but I also think it's good to be a little open-minded about materials - it'd be a shame to find out many years down the road that one preferred the material they'd turned their nose up at out of some personal and irrational prejudice.
*************************
Your Freudian Slip is showing...
In a professional capacity, someone I have to deal with said something I KNEW but which he'd heretofore never admitted. At the end of our meeting, he said there was something else he'd wanted to mention to me. He sat a moment and I fiddled with some paperwork I needed to finish, and after a while I said "was there something else you needed to tell me?" and I could tell he was wracking his brain to come up with it as he distractedly said "there was something else I wanted to criticize you for." Funny thing is, I don't think he realized what he'd said.
Now, why do I want to leave Dallas? Hmm...

9 comments:

alan said...

No one in their right mind wants to live IN Dallas. It's turned into a typical large urban city with all the large urban city faults.

breda said...

oooooh. pretty!

Buck said...

Nice work, Phlegmmy. Good photography, too.

Anonymous said...

But where would you be going?

In the spirit of Dallas-bashing, here's a bit of the Austin Lounge Lizards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyDLm9VuskE

MiniKat said...

Pretty!!

Vinogirl said...

Do you ever sleep?

phlegmfatale said...

alan - it has turned hollow for me, in recent times. I long to be elsewhere.

Breda - so glad you like 'em, honey!

Buck - you are generous, but I thank you for the kind words!

James - Anywhere else but here. RE. Austin Lounge Lizards - tee hee!

Minikat - glad ya like 'em, girlie!

Vinogirl - you're kidding, right? I'm the laziest person I know!

Mauser*Girl said...

Those are gorgeous, especially they mismatched pearls. Lovely. :)

Sigboy said...

Mrs. Sigboy said she likes your necklace. She might want one for herself.