Monday, December 08, 2008



Okay, so this old graveyard in Aurora Texas supposedly holds the remains of a pilot who crashed an alien spaceship here in 1897. Yup. THis is an official state historical marker, dated 1976.

I looked around a bit, saw a lot of mid to late 19th century graves in the front section of the graveyard, but didn't notice any spaceman graves. Perhaps if you visit the place at night, one of them glows. Still, as with any place of historic significance, it's the state-generated plaque one really came to see, right? Remember the Alamo? They have a plaque. But no basement.

Whaddayaknow if YouTube doesn't have something on this place. In comments, Holly said

"Aurora, Texas" recorded by Allen Damron is a most excellent song telling the
story of the alien ship that crashed into Judge Proctor's windmill.

Couldn't find Mr. Damron's song on YouTube, but I did find this bit:

9 comments:

CyberPete said...

Wow! I don't really know what else to say.

Hiya!

tony said...

Hello! Nice Blog.Regards from
Tony.

Anonymous said...

Mistress MJ asked me to pop over and say hi. Hi.

I shall, however, return later of my own free will to 'read stuff'. I think that is the technical term. Right now I'm working hard (cough) whilst you sleep (several assumptions here, but it can't be too far off as I'm in a totally different time zone. Could almost be described as a different planet, to be honest.

So, like I said. Hi. :-)

HollyB said...

"Aurora, Texas" recorded by Allen Damron is a most excellent song telling the story of the alien ship that crashed into Judge Proctor's windmill.

This incident has also been featured on The History Channel under the title "Texas' Roswell."

Sorry y'all couldn't find the actual grave. But I've been told it has been obscured by time and grave-robbers.

phlegmfatale said...

CyberPete- Howdy! Thanks for stopping by!

Tony - Hi! Glad you like the place!

Famulus - Sounds like we have the same sort of jobs! Howdy, yourself, and thanks for stopping by. :)

HollyB - thanks so much - will try to find it on YouTube and embed it in the post! You're just full of wonderful information!

Anonymous said...

See, I knew you were talking about a from Mars kinda alien.

The Mistress said...

Regarding CyberPete, Tony and Famulus...

I have no control over them, really.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Probably Jimmy Hoffa!

Lin said...

It is Texas after all - guess it was just another e-legal alien to those folks back then.