Wednesday, January 24, 2007


Now, I'm not saying that someone who would splash out $2.5 Billion on a Vegas hotel would lie or cheat or anything, but I think it's mighty interesting that Steve Wynn agreed to sell this Picasso for $139 million the day before he poked his bony elbow through the canvas while giving guests a tour of his humble abode. I'm not saying that he and his fellow billionaire buddy acted in collusion to make some money AFTER he ripped the canvas, but I'm not saying they didn't, either. I AM saying I think Wonder Woman needs to round them up in her Golden Lasso of Truth.

By the way, even with the wonky shape of her costume, isn't Lynda Carter just unbelievably gorgeous? I think so.

Since I've been on a tv/movie roll for the past few days, let's hold that tack and talk about Tuesday night television.

Well, it happened-- I've officially been sucked in to the whole American Idol vortex yet again. I half-assedly watched part of one of the shows last week, and I set the dvr to record it this week, and the minute I saw the Arkansas boy walk in, I just KNEW he was a winner. He's an oddity, and no doubt about it, but I LIKE him and I like him A LOT. You have to remember I pegged last year's winner the minute I saw him. I'm just saying.

Actually, the strange thing is the Arkansas boy ( I MUST learn his name) replete with big ole hillbilly beard is from the town of Bryan, which is within about 10 miles of Evening Shade, which is where my mom went to school. Hey! Maybe we're related! Anyway. Good for him. I hope he kicks some Hollywood ass and I hope he refuses to bend to their stylists' wills. Let an Ozark boy give those talentless Hollywood dipshits what-fer.

I was also pleased to see a female with 2 full sleeves of tats made it through - they've not had a REALrocker girl yet, and I'd like to see that. Show tunes? Pa-TOOEY!

On to the State of the Union Speech. I watched the speech but my eyes were ever drawn to the face of Nancy Pelosi. Either she doing her Beulah the cow impersonation and chewing a cud, or her dentures were slipping. The weird contortions of her mouth made her look like she was trying to suppress a fart. Constantly. Anyway, I'm glad I got to see it before some image people coach her on not looking like a goober on, like, ya know, tv and stuff.

You can thank me later for that hard-hitting analysis.

If you get a chance, watch or record that fantastic 2 hour program on the Science Channel about the 1883 eruption of Krakatoa. Apparently the explosion was heard on the west coast of Africa and in the outback of Australia. They said it would be the equivalent of a volcano erupting in NYC and being heard simultaneously in London and Los Angeles. Amazing. This is a dramatiztion based on the careful accounts of several survivors. My favorite is a crazy steamboat captain who's all "damn the torpedoes" and doing a Slim Pickens routine -- my kind of guy. Definitely worth tracking down.

Speaking of tracking things down, since I'm all tv obsessed at the moment, I'll try to find my favorite Black Flag video/song, TV Party. It's amazing- Henry Rollins was so young. Now I look at him and think "Hmm, monobrow and ear-whiskers." Ah, the cruel tyranny of hair in unexpected places and meanwhile it's retreating from the expected places. Oh well.

9 comments:

Tam said...

Just looking at that picture of Lynda made me need to loosen my belt a notch.

"Wonder Woman drinks glass of water; costume explodes. Three extras injured by flying gold lame fragments. Film at eleven."

Ouch.

I also remember that when I was little I marvelled at how unsensible her shoes were, what with her being an Amazon warrior princess and all... A friend boosted a pair of well-heeled boots from her mom's closet and turned an ankle while we were chasing Nazis. Thankfully, being more the Batgirl fan, my only accoutrement was a cape too short to trip over, sparing me the ride-along to the ER.

Anonymous said...

Having grown up in the pre-tv days, my initial exposure to Wonder Woman and all the super heroes was from the printed page. Much better, in my opinion.

And I think Madam Speaker is beyond help from anyone when it comes to her goofy expressions. She's been in DC for many years so I'm sure someone has tried to teach her a modicum of restraint. Personally, I enjoy watching her facial contortions.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but I'm jaded now. You showed us how inaccurate those docos are. I'll never, ever, EVER be able to watch them things and think I'm learning something. Re. Krakatoa, I think Kiwiland got ashes flying and had exceptionally good sunsets for months.

Anonymous said...

I always wanted to be Wonder Woman...*sigh*

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Not only weird colours on wonder woman's outfit, but damn it looks uncomfortable. How do you sit with that big old belt?

Anonymous said...

Teaching evening classes has the good consequence of keeping me away from the TV for silly crap like Idol. If the channel doesn't repeat stuff after 11pm, I don't see it. Too much other crap to do to worry about tivoing something like that. Too much other cool stuff to watch to worry about what I miss.

Anonymous said...

And uh, nice rack by the way. ONLY reason to watch that show, then or now.

Maven said...

I think it was cheesey for Wynn to expect the insurance company to suck it, and eat the difference between what was paid and the new damaged price...

Jay Noel said...

Did you know Linda Carter is half Mexican? I had no idea.