Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Kelly of "incredibly hot one" fame and I have been volleying emails in recent weeks over the action on Top Chef. We were both steamed at the nasty turn of events and how two of the top 3 we chose didn't make it to the final 2. Last weeks penultimate episode of season 2 delivered a shocker in that Sam--crowd favorite and American Badass™--was sent packing for serving up food that "played it safe," whilst Syndrome/Marcel foamed his way to the top 2 to vie with the mild-mannered Ilan. I've been nosing around the internet and guess what I've come across:

The ultimate spoiler from hell. If you want to find out who the winner is, click this link. Apparently for a few minutes on Monday, Food & Wine magazine accidentally posted an interview/profile of the Top Chef winner, and a savvy reader did a screenscrape et voila! Now on the F&W site, they have a little blurb saying that a reader poked around and found one of the two profiles they had done in anticipation of one or the other person winning. I mean, come on - they've known who the winner is for absolute ages. Sheesh.

Top that with the fact that if you read Marcel's MySpace page, he has some reggae track which intones something to the effect of "you can't keep me down."

Irie, bitch.

Anyway, I'm not the sort to read the last page of the book first, but I hate the suspense of waiting to see how things turn out. Yes, I'd open all presents early if that were an option. Yes, I'd happily eat dessert before the entree. Yes, I'm happy I know how Top Chef will turn out, and I'm still going to watch it tomorrow night.

But I swear I'm not going to get sucked into that Interior Designer show on Bravo. Must...not...watch...must...not.......

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

mild-mannered Ilan? More like pot-stirring 13-year-old. I'm not a big fan of the Heat Miser either, but Ilan bugs the crap out of me for being such a complete and utter ass in his obsession with baiting Marcel. I don't care how annoying Ilan has decided Marcel is, at some point you do have to be an adult which means get the hell over it, dude.

My main problem with pretty much everyone this season is that none of them are that great in the kitchen. I can cook the pants off of most of them. Last season, I really wanted Harold to win, but I would have been fine with Tiffani because, although she'd been painted as an uber-bitch, she could cook in a chefly manner. Ilan has had a few good dishes and a bunch of crap (seriously, chicken-liver chocolate "truffles"?). Marcel has had a few good dishes and some utter crap (the coffee moat catastrophe). Sam wasn't even that great when you compare this season to last season. Bravo needs to figure out if they want the show to be about cooking or if they want to turn it into Big Brother.

Anonymous said...

I am already lost to the design show. I've now planned things around it.

But this round of Top Chef was so obvious it was ridiculous. Marcel is only there because they wanted a showdown between sweet little Ilan and the tiny little homosexual villian with the pompadour (like Tim Roth's character in Rob Roy).

These chefs are too young for this competition IMO.

Anonymous said...

Must not!

phlegmfatale said...

g bro - must not... but did. Oops.
Tyra Banks is just annoying, but I love when they send her up on The Soup.

Liz, darling, you're such a contrarian! Are Too! Are too! Are too Infinity!™ Yup, Ilan was cool as long as Marcel wasn't being so über-dorky and full-of-himself. I agree that it should be more about the food. And based on the slow shift of focus over to Ilan (they hardly showed him at all in the beginning) it seemed obvious they were setting those two up for a showcase showdown. I agree - it's too conflict-driven and schlock-oriented. I'd love to see YOU on that show - but I know you: you'd be a villain just because you COULD. I love you!

zelda - I agree - yes, and near the end, it was dawning on me how they engineered the show to sway affections. The design show looks like it's going to be a bitch-fest-royale.

fathairybastard - must not, but did. Lord, I'm weak.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little disappointed (ok a LOT disappointed) that this season concentrated more on the drama and less on the food.
Once Sam was gone, I was done. I won't be watching Season 3.
And it pissed me off how the judges kept saying, "Ilan keeps cooking Spanish...that's what he knows...he's playing safe." And yet, they never mentioned that Marcel kept cooking foam shit. That's as much of a cuisine as Spanish food.

Gah! I'm so over this stupid show and the stupid fricking judges. Especially Colicchio and that Food & Wine broad who looks like she has something seriously wrong with her face.

Dick said...

Ok, that "anonymous" above was me (Kelly). For some reason, this stupid thing refuses to let me sign in.

phlegmfatale said...

Kelly - I KNEW that was you - I figured it was my switch to beta wot done it - some other comments came through as anonymous - but I know who is talking,for some reason.

Yeah, I don't blame you. I hate the soap opera aspect - I'd like to LEARN something that makes me a better chef - the personality-driven competition is about anything BUT excellence - disappointing! Sorry - but the idea of foamy shit on my food just sounds revolting. Oh, and using the chemicals as stabilizers to achieve texture in a dish-- why does that sound like a low-quality short-cut to me? VERY msg, if you ask me. The Food&Wine broad -I've been wondering if she was preggers or something, because it seems like they've really been cutting away from her especially late in the season. Oh and Padma? I HATE that white liner they put on her bottom eyelids to make her eyes stand out - very distracting, very ugly-making. And it's unnecessary - she's actually pretty without that "trick."