Thursday, January 04, 2007

I went to Lee Harvey's for lunch Wednesday, and I met the house cat - Bacon. I thought someone had left a black sweater or furry wrap on the barstool, and then it moved, revealing white paws and whiskers. It's funny - all the times I've been to Lee Harvey's and I've never seen the cat. I've seen lots of dogs there, though.

View Bacon Lee Harvey's MySpace page here. This cat has voodoo qualities.

Anyway, I miss living in a loft close to LH's - they have a small menu, but it was great to be able to go a couple blocks in the 'hood and find gourmet-ish food for takeaway. They have a roasted portobello mushroom sandwich, a jalapeno-jack grilled cheese sandwich, and other good things.

Anyway, we were the first people there for lunch, and Tim was working behind the bar when the phone rang. He seemed perplexed immediately. He'd answered the phone "Lee Harvey's" and some salesperson asked if they could speak to Mr. Harvey. Tim said Mr. Harvey had been dead since 1963. He was on the phone with the guy for several minutes - it was strange. He finally told the person that the owner of the bar was Seth, and he told the guy it was hit-or-miss on calling when Seth might be there.

When Tim got off the phone, he said that some months back someone told the telemarketer that Mr. Harvey was on an extended cruise but would return in January and they could call back then. We laughed and laughed.

6 comments:

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

It's funny when people don't get the historical named places... Or miss the point entirely. I had friend of mine in Philadelphia who was originally from the UK. He was going to open a tavern two blocks from Independance Hall in the Olde City cection of town... The name he originally wanted to call it? "The King George III"

I finally convinced him that wouldn't have been the wizest choice of names for the area...

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Great story.

The cat and the dog from the Green Parrot in Key West should get together and drink sometime!

phlegmfatale said...

g bro - Yeah, that cat gets around, doesn't he? Ya gotta love rollery derby chicks. My baby sister has toyed with the ideer of getting into the roller derby business. She's a scrappy broad, and I think she could vent her spleen and work off some excess hausfrau rage at the same time. Good clean fun!

rangertom - *L* History will teach us nothing!

mushy - Yeah, I'm sure this cat and that dog would swap some tall tales!

Just Another Old Geezer said...

I hope there's a special circle for telemarketers. Your funny little tale brought a memory to the front that's too long for your comments here. I posted it on and gave you full credit for clearing the cobwebs.

Anonymous said...

Coincidences are abounding lately, aren't they? Last night the phone rang and some YayHoo asked for the old cartoon character whose name is v.v. similar to the Drealy Beloved's.
Since I've been sick, as you know , since Monday and my throat feels like it's lined w/ broken glass, I wasn't in a mood to be trifled with. I said, snottily, "Check the spelling, Dumba$$" He apologised and then tried to sell me a service from Charter to which we ALREADY subscribe!
I told him that, insulted Charter's efficiency and slammed the phone down.
I felt a tiny bit better after that.
If your lil Sis DOES join the Roller Derby, I want to go see her skate! PLease notify soonest.
And when I win the Lottery and open Holly's, my Bar and acoustic concert venue Boo will be the House Dog.

Anonymous said...

It took me a long time. Too many manners driven into me in my youth. But I can now easily interrupt their breathless unbroken spiel and say "No than you", and hang up. Sometimes it's just "NOPE". They should all be sent to Abu Greb, along with the bastards who sit around and generate all this friggin' spam.

And cats rule. Dogs too. Dallas is cool about havin' little spots like that.