Saturday, February 21, 2009

mm-mm, shooty goodness!

Keys? Check. Chanel shades? Check. Pink cell phone? Check. Kickarse Econo Scout? Check check!


Sort of last minute, I didn't go out of town as expected for the weekend which left me to knock about on my Friday off. JR of A Keyboard and a .45 graciously invited me to shoot at a range I'd been longing to check out, and I asked if I could put in some time practicing my shotgun. He said yes and so we were off to the races. This range is a neat place, and though I sing the praises of my pistol club every chance I get, I relished the opportunity to blow the cobwebs out of something larger than pistol-size.

JR's Ruger Standard was sweet to shoot, and I think I shot better with it than do I with my MkII, but I'm still getting used to that one. I shot my Mossberg until I felt more comfortable with it, and I think I'm realms beyond where I was with it at first last June. Lately I've been going to batting cages and hitting softballs, and I think improved upper-body strength makes a huge difference in my comfort level with the shotgun. Besides, it's always a good idea to keep a ball bat in the car, imho. Bonus: now I know how to whack the snot out of something with one, too.

Anyway, the afternoon was beautiful and just when it seemed the shooty goodness couldn't get much better, we moved over to a 200 yard range and JR brought out his Savage Econo Scout. I've never shot beyond 115 yards, so the long range was a treat, but the Econo Scout alone was worth the drive. When the gong clanged back at me an instant after I fired the first shot, I was in transports of rapture, oh my darlings. Fun is not a big enough word. I think more than one *squeee!* escaped my lips, and at least one yee-haw.

Thanks, JR! I had a blast. Several blasts, in fact.

WOOHOO!

12 comments:

Jay G said...

No word on the multiple hits on steel at 200 yards? You are too modest...

(And you look good with that rifle. You should get a .308 of your own...) :)

alan said...

Now I'm REALLY sorry I missed it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You looked so natural! Love it.

John R said...

I'm glad you had a good time. The weather was great and the company even better.

phlegmfatale said...

Jay G - Yeah - I had that plate a'swinging. Didn't know I was being modest, though - thought this was a brag post? :)

alan - it was a lot of fun.

steff - Thanks! It was a real treat!

JR - Thank you very much!

g bro said...

Girl, you're having too much fun!

Old NFO said...

No fair... :-) Seriously, glad you had a good time!

FHB said...

Wohooo, so much fun.

Christina RN LMT said...

Looks like loads of fun! Wish I'd been there.
Lucky duck!

NotClauswitz said...

200-yard gong clanging is bang-a-riffic! Wheeee!!

rremington said...

Scout Rifles are teh BOMB!!

J.R.Shirley said...

Excellent! Everybody *needs* a good rifle, and almost everyone would do better with a handy, sturdy .308 than teh awesome AR-15.

John