Thursday, November 29, 2007

Did you know...

there's a submarine parked on the north bank of the river in Little Rock, Arkansas?

Yuppers, it's the USS Razorback, and it was commissioned during WWII, served in the Pacific theatre and all over the place until 1970, when it was decommissioned and given to Turkey, who re-named it.

I'm betting my personal favorite submarine guy, the ever-brilliant Myron, can fill us in on details.

From MYRON:
Yeah, I knew about the RAZORBACK. Getting her back from Turkey and turning her
into another museum submarine was a big thing in the subvets community. She was
towed up river from Nawleens with a contingency of old subvets on board.If you
go to the website and scroll down there is a link to a patrol report from July,
1957. It will give you an idea of what we cold war diesel boat sailors did for a
living. Click here to see a Google Earth image of where
she was. And here also for a closer look at the funny
names.These reports were only recently declassified. Guess I need to order the
ones for my boat. By the way, we got underway for that area of the world in
July, 1957 12 days after I reported aboard from SubSchool. Welcome aboard,
sailor.
_________________________

Driving around Little Rock I had a brainwave - Bill Clinton was just confused: he didn't know there was an "L" in "public servant."

_________________________

One more thing was I tried to find Franke's Cafeteria, which everyone raves about, but I went to the address listed in the yahoo phone directory (not the one on Rodney Parham Road) and there was an empty building. Meh. Ended up eating something common and not-at-all-cafeterialike.

Made up for it by eating at Bryce's in Texarkana on Sunday night. Golly, that place is awesome. They have toe-curling deviled eggs that taste just like my great-aunt Geneva's deviled eggs. high praise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toe curling is most definitely the best when it comes to anything. Wish I could have had some with ya.;)

DBA Dude said...

That has got to be one weird thing to see - how did they get it there?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I knew about the RAZORBACK. Getting her back from Turkey and turning her into another museum submarine was a big thing in the subvets community. She was towed up river from Nawleens with a contingency of old subvets on board.

If you go to the website and scroll down there is a link to a patrol report from July, 1957. It will give you an idea of what we cold war diesel boat sailors did for a living. Click here to see a Google Earth image of where she was. And here also for a closer look at the funny names.

These reports were only recently declassified. Guess I need to order the ones for my boat. By the way, we got underway for that area of the world in July, 1957 12 days after I reported aboard from SubSchool. Welcome aboard, sailor.