Tuesday, August 18, 2015

This summer's last hoo-rah.

I've come down to the Texas bootheel to visit my sister in her dream-house-in-progress. I wanted to spend time with her family before school starts, and especially before my darling niece goes to boot camp next week. 

The drive down was gorgeous, and as soon as I was 5 miles south of I-10, I could see why sis and her hubby were so drawn to this region. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I agree with her that this is an extremely beautiful place to live. Wouldn't mind it, myself. 

Monday the five of us went to Big Bend National Park.  This is apparently one of the largest National Parks, and also the least-visited. It was great to have all this breath-taking majesty to ourselves. 99% of the day, we couldn't see so much as another vehicle in the distance. Definitely worth the drive. 

After the park, we went to the pool at Terlingua Ranch where they own property. It was great to splash in the pool, but i do wish I'd given wider berth to the two wasps that stung me. One of those was my fault, too. The climate there is perfect with its dry heat. There was an astonishing variety of birds, always fascinating to watch. 

We saw tons of jackrabbits, a cotton-tail, some pretty little deer including a fleet-footed fawn with its mama, javelina,  buzzards and a broad variety of roadkill. Fortunately, we saw no bears or mountain lions. 

I'm looking forward to exploring this place more in-depth in future. 

2 comments:

drjim said...

Yeah, I could see living there, but my wife would flip out!

Andi said...

That is beautiful--I might have to join you for a visit!