Wednesday, September 03, 2014

For my lovely friend V, embarking on her new course of study:

In January 2012, I was already in school and taking care of prerequisites in hopes of entering the RN program at my school ASAP. With all going well, I would complete those studies in December of 2015. At that time, I put up a blog post saying I felt like I was standing on the shore of an ocean I have to swim.  That was 2 years and 8 months ago (hard to believe!) and now I have only 16 months of school remaining.

You have an impressive background and experience, Miss V, and I could see you reaching the absolute top of your profession, but you need this one important credential to step up to that next level. I know you came to the decision to embark on this additional training in all seriousness, and I'll bet that you've even had moments when you doubt your own sanity for doing so.  This is a natural inclination, but you have so many wonderful things going in your favor, and I know you're going to totally hit it out of the park.

  • You are smart with an amazing degree of retention for what you learn and observe
  • You are highly regarded and admired in your current career, and you have the support of Everyone Who Matters there. :)
  • Your home is well-organized and tidy, and you're not the clutter-hound that I am-- if I've survived this long with a teeny shred of sanity intact, you're going to be aces, baby!
  • You have the love and devotion of wonderful dogs who are on call for free therapy
  • You have the love and support of a good man in the form of your fiancĂ©
  • Your effort now will pay dividends for the rest of your life

I'm not saying that it will be easy, but I am saying it will be worth it. What you are doing takes a lot of guts, and I really want you to pat yourself on the back early and to repeat that act often.

  • Have a designated study area
  • Break your tasks into manageable chunks
  • Keep a reliable calendar and check off completed tasks
  • Remind yourself of milestones (one month down, nine to go!)
  • Don't be all work/no play
  • Go to the movie with me when I call you to decompress from intense study

You can get through this, but don't feel you have to be a hermit in the process-- I kind of think that was one of my problems in the last Fall/Spring semesters. You can do this and have a life, too.

You've got this! I'm proud of you.
Now go out there and kick some tail, tiger!

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Best wishes and hoping for friends to lift her up when she gets down...