Tuesday, October 30, 2007


I've been so busy and caught up in things. I just realized my darling maternal grandfather died 20 years ago this month. I've meant to for a while, but I'll try to post an audio file of some of his guitar picking very soon. Listening to him play was what really made me fall in love with music. Grandpa and Grandma Bertie would have a "musical" every so often, when dozens of cousins, aunts, uncles would gather at their house with their instruments, singing and drinking coffee into the night. He loved his grandbabies, and doted on every single one of us. There's really no one who can make you feel special like your grandparents, is there? Since I've been an adult, I've come to know he was a much more complex person than I could have imagined. Although I know he had world-class talent, I think he would have chafed under the yoke of the business end of the music business. He was a free spirit, and the rules sort of didn't apply to him.

Nice work, if you can get it.

8 comments:

DBA Dude said...

Looking forward to hearing it.

Sounds like the sort of nights that you find in Ireland (or in the beer tent at a folk festival) when a bunch of people just get together and play for the fun of it.

Anonymous said...

Neat. I'd love to hear him.

Sadly, musical talent doesn't run in my family - except for my father, who could belt out a killer version of "El Rancho Grande" when he'd had a few drinks. I'm glad to say that my darling bride has enough musical talent to carry the rest of us.

James

Barbara Bruederlin said...

That's a wonderful picture of your grandfather. And how lucky you were to be able to share those muscicals with your grandparents. It makes me wish I had known mine.

none said...

That's great you have recordings! Can't wait :)

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Please post his sound bites...I'd love to hear'em!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to post that audio!

Christina RN LMT said...

It's awesome that you have something tangible to help keep the memories alive.

I just have my unreliable gray matter, unfortunately.

phlegmfatale said...

dba dude - yup -it's very folky, isnt' it?

james - good for you for marrying a musical woman - that makes for a happy home

barbara - yeah, it was one of the most special things about my life

hammer - I hope you'll like them. I'll try to post one for Monday

mushy - I hope to, soon.

leazwell - thanks - I won't forget

christina - yeah, I listened to them, and always, when I hear his voice, it makes me smile and cry at the same time