Thursday, April 26, 2018

R.I.P., Bob Dorough

I was saddened to hear this week of the death of fellow Arkansas native Bob Dorough, who died April 23, aged 94. Most people will remember him one of the male voices of Schoolhouse Rock on television. He sang on some of the tracks, as well as composed all the Math pieces for that series, and for many of us, that is a soundtrack of learning some basics of math and grammar. While more people will be familiar with his Schoolhouse Rock work, I loved his tongue-in-cheek collaborations, like Blue X-Mas with Miles Davis, and the song he co-wrote with Dave Frishberg called "I'm Hip." Blossom Dearie did a wonderful rendition of that song, but my favorite is by John Pizzarelli:




R.I.P., Bob Dorough, and thank you for making music that makes me smile.

No comments: