Friday, January 24, 2014

Dosage calculation vexation

I'm in the early stages of dosage calculation, and I have my first test today. I've GOT the early stages because I look at the problems of this stage and my brain SEES the answer. 

See photo. 
12:9  = 8:x

My brain instantly computes that 12 is to 9 as 8 is to 6. 

The problem will arrive when the figures are much more arcane than easily computed numbers. I'm going to drill on this stuff. It's amazing that so far I. Nursing, the maths are the easiest thing for me. 

Because I used to think I wasn't good at maths. 

3 comments:

Le Conteur said...

You will have to ask the Gaffer about my incredible fear of "med Math" I was delighted when our unit went to premeasured doses for the field...You could always find me in the corner shuddering as the word problems reared their ugly heads on the tests.

Le Conteur

phlegmfatale said...

Thanks, Le Conteur. Here's to premeasured doses. I just have to get past this hump. It's necessary and important. I would prefer to clean up bedpans, though. :P

Christina RN LMT said...

I NEVER do the problems the way I'm "supposed" to. So far, nobody has complained. As long as I show my work and get the right answer, they don't care! I see everything in proportions and do the math that way (ratios/percentages). In Germany they called it Dreisatz (I think).
So the problem you put I immediately think:
1. 12/9 = 8/x
2. 8x9/12 = x = 6
Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy!

You will do extraordinarily well as long as you don't let your instructor(s) make you crazy...