Tuesday, March 02, 2004

It's one of those divinely nasty days I'm always telling you I love. Running an office errand, I cut across downtown Dallas in my pickup truck and headed down Fort Worth Avenue. It's great driving a truck--the only vehicle in which one's earrings and boobage can swing comfortably. Flipped on the radio as the darkening slickness of the streets mirrored head and tail lamps of people hurrying home from a hard days'. Normally, I'd flip to another station, but the skating rink organ of "Dirty Laundry" by Don Henley just seemed so right with the weather. Funny how I hated that song when I was a girl--it seemed so dark, ugly and pessimistic. Now it seems so true that it's banal. I chuckled about that. I could have saved myself some hard lessons if I'd just cut to the chase in 1984 and became a bitter hardened cynic right out of the box.

No comments: