Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Knee progress report #1

Mom came through the surgery very well. She had a little nausea whenever they moved her, but I think that stemmed from coming down from the full sedation.

She made several wry quips and she was very aware, but clearly needed rest.

Several people expressed surprise that she opted to have both done at once. This was a little disconcerting, but one MD on rounds said he was impressed that she opted to double-dip, that it was difficult, but that it was a very brave choice. He went on to say that-- faced with the same conditions, he would himself choose to do both at the same time.

The facility she is in is one of the nicest I've ever seen. It's a clean, quiet and very positive environment. All staff seem very caring and committed. I'm tremendously impressed. It's a great comfort to know Mom is being tended by such nice folks.

Rehab starts today and I think Mom will do well. I know it will be a painful process, but she will work very hard to recover. Mom is a very determined person, and I know that the same gritty spirit which inspired her to get both knees done at once will serve her well.

Thanks to all folks who have commented. Your kind words are a comfort and encouragement to us at this time. :)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


Jon said...

I've watched different people that have had the surgery. The most successful have been, IMO, due to the attitude of the patient. A good attitude yields good results. There's pain, but after awhile, it's past and the ability to regain mobility is a blessing.

One confounder: weight gain. I had a relative that gained a lot of weight after the surgery, which caused problems.

Another thing, tell your mother the web is really glad she did such a good job on you. The peanut gallery really appreciates your blog.

Old NFO said...

Thoughts and prayers sent for a speedy recovery!

Farmmom said...

Fingers crossed, prayers sent, and ear at the ready. give me a call if you need anything. Love ya :D

Auntie J said...

Nice people make rehab easier, at least on an emotional level. I went through four days of very intense rehab following surgery to put my ankle back together (broken in four places in a car wreck in July '09; wrist on same side also broken). Of course, I was also getting Occupational Therapy, too, learning how to get around with a platform walker, get up and down stairs, move around a kitchen, get in and out of a car.... It's not fun, but the more committed she is to doing the exercises and necessary movements, the quicker her overall recovery will be. I still do some of my rehab exercises on my ankle, learned in PT after my release from the hospital (9 weeks of that). Best wishes to your mom for a solid recovery!

TOTWTYTR said...

I'm duly impressed that she went to have both knees done at the same time. That's a gutsy decision, but from your subsequent posts it certainly seems to be working out for her.