Saturday, November 28, 2009

other driveways, other choices.

I've mentioned before that I'm living out here in the country, really. I'm at the western edge of a smallish town, and I enjoy the wacky country stripe of yard art which actually (in my opinion) was the true birth of recycling. One sees such things out here quite often. Imagine a row of upturned empty bleach bottles balanced on sticks, louvered vents cut into the sides and turned out, making said bleach bottles spin so gaily, so jauntily. And I've said before how much I love the inside-out tractor tire flower planters, especially when painted in easter-egg colors. Then there's those fun folk who collect disused appliances on the lawn. These always look particularly festive when and Esther Williams-esque array of chickens flap about the appliance maze, or mebbe a goat and a duck. *FUN*

I'm not one to spoil anyone's good time, but I'm having a spot of difficulty wrapping my brain around what possessed my neighbor last week. I knew something was up when they blocked off the horseshoe drive through their front yard. As I was leaving for work early Monday morning, that horseshoe drive appeared to be levitating-- they had painted it white. Now it seems to be glowing all the time, and sitting about 6 or 8 inches above the lawn.

Why? Were they perhaps signaling the mother ship?

Hmmm.

7 comments:

Vinogirl said...

I know you should be able to do much as you please to your own property etc., but that just seems rude!

Anonymous said...

We whitewash concrete here because of the effect of weather and the ground walking causes shelling off if the concrete isn't sealed. Whitewash is the cheapest way to do it. Quite simple.
On the other hand, perhaps they painted it as a 'subtle' hint that they think their neighbors are horses' asses?
I personally always had the ambition of painting the house in which you live purple, with fighting cocks, gaudy flowers, and assorted other thing you might find in a Mexican graveyard. I so admire their verve and sense of color.
Elsewhere PhD

lifeshighway said...

Sounds wonderful to me. And where are the pictures. How can I truly appreciate tractor tire flower planters and levitating driveway by my own poor imagination.

Robert Langham said...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=147801690
This will float you off the pavement.

Old NFO said...

LOL- One never knows...

Thud said...

Neighbours...you just have to love em...which explains why I have none.

NotClauswitz said...

We found an inside-out tire painted as a snail, buried in the undergrowth of "the Shack" where we lived up on Alameda De Las Pulgas. Turns out The Dead had lived there in the past and Jerry had been crafty.