Wednesday, July 02, 2008


I found a little house overlooking a lake a comfortable distance from Dallas. It's not ON the water, so I wouldn't have to pay for waterfront maintenance, but from the porch swing you can see the light on the water as the sun sets. It needs considerable work, but it's got a huge rock fireplace, and NO popcorn ceilings. YAYS! Anyway, I'd be putting a lot of sweat-equity into it, but I think I need a big project, right about now. I offered a contract on it Tuesday night and we'll see if they take me up on it. Sadly, I have a competitor for the house, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. It has 3 sheds and a big garage, so I'd definitely have studio space out there. No word on the fishing prospects on the lake, but I'll bet a person could manage to enjoy it, in any case.


Anyway, it has a huge porch as wide as the house, and a double lot that would be great for a dog. Or two. Or a whole pack... If I don't get it, I'll continue to look for something similar outside of town. I'll be philosophical - the sellers seem like lovely people, and they need to do what makes best economic sense for themselves. Still, I hope my offer is more attractive, because I can already see the landscaping I'd do there, and it'd be grand, on a smallish-sort of scale. Plans to remove to remote environs continue apace... If this doesn't work out, something else will come along.
Wish me luck.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you the best. It looks beautiful. Ifin you get it may I come to visit? Bold, aren't I?

Lin said...

I'll be hoping with you on this one. But you're right, if it doesn't come through, it's because there is something better waiting for you. It certainly always worked that way for me.

Attila the Mom said...

Crossing fingers AND toes!!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck on this kiddo. I really hope you get it. With a view of the lake it would be great to just sit and enjoy. As for the fishing, sometimes the best fishing is with no bait on the hook. Just sit quietly inside your own world and enjoy your surroundings.

John R said...

That sounds wonderful.

Which lake?

Christina RN LMT said...

Work...the supreme panacea.

Good luck, Phlegmmy, you deserve it!
It sounds like a beautiful spot.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

That place sounds ideal for you, for the big fireplace alone!

I am wishing you superb negotiating skills on this one.

NotClauswitz said...

That looks like a swell fireplace and you have a grand vision of more to come, good luck!

Anonymous said...

What I meant to say in my first comment is I'd love to visit you at this beautiful house . Aren't I bold for inviting myself?

But my oxycodone must've hit. LOL

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Hope you get what you want...can't beat waterfront...even if it's a mud plane in the winter like mine!

Buck said...

Wow... the place sounds great, as do your plans for it. Good luck on your offer, Phlegmmy. Lotsa positive energy directed your way...

FatQuarterQuiltFarm said...

Rotsa Ruck!
A big fat project would do you some good now for sure.If it doesn't work out now there's always the shoe collection.....

LBJ said...

LOVE the fireplace. . that looks like home

Zelda said...

Best of luck to you. We are currently looking for houses too, but we want to try to get a foreclosure or something in a tax sale. Tedious business.

FHB said...

Hope you get it. Sounds like a fun place.

Thud said...

just surfaced online after making it out to Ca...sorry to hear about your dog....maybe a great project like this would go some way to helping how you feel...oh...and a belated happy 4th!