Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I'm still poorly, but am SO much better than I was yesterday. What's been strange about this is that it's been like echoes of when I had pneumonia, but at the height (or nadir) of this food poisoning thing, my body actually felt worse. Not to be overly graphic, but I think it was the tensing of all my muscles as (stuff) beat a retreat for the nearest point of exit. Even my toes and the muscles in my feet are aching.

Of all the odd things, at one point I thought of a statistic I heard once that more soldiers in the American Civil War died of dysentery than of actual battle wounds. With the unrelenting sultry southern heat, wool uniforms, and the utter lack of modern conveniences - battlegrounds must have been an olfactory assault scarce imaginable, not to mention the sheer discomfort of suffering so in that environment. Such is the type of delirium I'm prone to in a sickly state. Yuck. I'm glad it's 2008 and I have toilet paper and a nice lovely shower handy.

[Added later: As to what made me sick, I can't definitively say. I went to an Indian buffet on Sunday afternoon and I thought the food was wonderful. I didn't eat a lot, but it seemed very good to me, but I've only been to that restaurant once and then about a year ago. Then on Monday morning I had breakfast at a place I rarely go, and I had basted eggs, which meant the yolks were runny, so it could have been salmonella. My sister said it sounds like salmonella, and she's had that before. Who knows?]

Anyway, the worst seems to be over, and I haven't been pukey for about 16 hours, so I think it'll all be okay. I've been drinking Gatorade and bottled water and sprite, and I hope I'll sleep through the night and feel much better tomorrow.

About a month ago, I bought the Pedro Almodovar dvd Volver which stars Penelope Cruz, and I finally got to watch it Tuesday night. Superb film. Almodovar seems to have a grasp on the lovely ordinariness of people, and I think that is so under-done in cinema today, most especially American cinema. Almodovar has long been a favorite, since I fell in love with the divine Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. Check it out.

So, anyhoo, I watched some idiot box, and was starved enough for viewing material that I actually watched part of a show on McDonald's, and would you believe it? Willard Scott - the tv weather guy - was the original Ronald McDonald. Muy Creepy. Enjoy:

16 comments:

none said...

Food poisoning is something I know all too well. The muscle thing is worrisome I hope it isn't botchulism.

Take care and try to get drink some fluids even if it's difficult.

phlegmfatale said...

hammer - my sister thought it may have been salmonella. Who knows? Oh, yeah, I've totally been sucking down the fluids, once I could drink them without puking. Thanks. I'm feeling a lot better.

Lin said...

If you feel that you are over the worst of it, then I feel better already. The bright side is that you didn't have to duck Union snipers every time you had to use the tall bushes.

Christina RN LMT said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, I was worried!
Do you know what the culprit (food) was?
That's what always scares me, that I'll get the same crap again because I don't know where I got it in the first place.

The MacDonald's show, was it the top ten MacDonald's restaurants?
Silver and I caught that a few weeks ago and it was pretty interesting, you know, the one in Norway (or Finland?) with the snow mobile drive-thru.
Ronald MacDonald has always scared me, but then again, I'm pretty much afraid of all clowns.

Anyway, get plenty of rest, 'cause that's the best medicine.

Attila the Mom said...

Oh geez, feel better soon!!!

xo

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better now.

*hugs*

DBA Dude said...

Never knew that food poisoning turned your brain to mush - McDonald's? :)

Have not seen Volver, must check it out - agree with you on Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, a classic film.

Glad to hear that you are on the mend - sounds like you had it pretty rough.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feelin' all better. Think I'll go test the runny egg yolk theory. Bowl of grits, sausage pattie on top of that and 3 over eggs over gently on top of that. How's that sound?

breda said...

holy crap. John Wayne Gacy.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Oh you poor thing! I've been so busy feeling poorly and sorry for myself that I haven't even been around to bring you chicken soup. Get better, sweetie.

Carteach said...

For what it's worth... been thinkin of you pretty steady. Glad you are feeling better!

It can really take a lot out of you.... leaving you like a worn out dish rag.

Pamper yourself....

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I meant to leave you this tip yesterday...never puke into your keyboard...it will never come out!

FHB said...

Yep. More folks died of disease in war that battle wounds, in about every war, up till modern meds came along in WW2. That was the first one I can think of where the wounded actually got decent care. I mean they tried earlier. Even the Romans had field surgeries. But they were totally ignorent of germs and everything.

204,000 battle deaths and 413,458 disease deaths in the Civil War.

in contrast, modern wars play hell on civilians. 1/3rd of all the deaths in WW2 were bystanders. Civilians had a much better time of it when armies found a field somewhere and slugged it out.

DAMN said...

See what happens when you eat buffet style! I hope you're feeling better.

By the way, I love the tempo of Volver. Almodovar really knows how to get the best performance out of Penelope Cruz; watching her on screen was like falling in love with the ladies of Old Hollywood.

g bro said...

Poor dear! I hope you're better now.

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so sorry that you went through this. I hope you're feeling better:(