Saturday, June 25, 2011

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Peter Falk.

Actually, I was more saddened to hear of his battle with dementia that preceeded his passing.

Peter was such a lovely soul. I know-- he was an actor-- but I think there was a golden light that shone out of him, and that was no act.

He enjoys the distinction of creating one of my most treasured movie moments in all of filmdom.

In Wim Wenders' exquisite Wings of Desire, lovely Bruno Ganz plays a guardian angel. He is besotted with a trapeze girl from a circus, and is considering falling to earth, becoming mortal. In this startling scene, for the first time in millennia of existence, a mortal addresses him in the form of Peter Falk, who is in Berlin filming a drama. Later in the film, we learn Peter Falk's secret.

Stunning film, lovely story, beautifully told, and made perfect by the inclusion of one angelically lovely man, Peter Falk.


May he rest in peace, and may all his dear ones be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten about that one--what a beautiful movie it was, too.

I also liked him in "The Cheap Detective".

Antibubba

Guffaw in AZ said...

I wasn't a big Columbo fan, but was a fan of Peter Falk.
RIP

Roscoe said...

We ran an old tape of "Murder By Death" endlessly in college.

Falk is also good in "Tune In Tomorrow" -- worth the rent if you haven't seen it ... as long as you aren't of Albanian ancestry. :)

The bonus with "Tune in Tomorrow" is a cool Winton Marsalis sountrack.