Saturday, June 05, 2010

Why do I have the overwhelming urge to throw my panties?

Tom Jones rocks it out in 1974. Points for the frilly shirt, the bouffy hair-preening, the rodeo champ-een belt buckle the size of a volkswagen and the marching band pants with the stripe down the sides.


Thinking about Tom and also about Sean Connery makes me hope we'll never hear a news story that either one has broken a hip. That just wouldn't be right, would it? On such a day our innocence would surely die.

How many drab fellows shifted uncomfortably in their Barcaloungers watching this broadcast in 1974, boiling with quiet rage as their wives breezed in from the pan of dirty dishes in the kitchen, squealing "ooooh! Tom JONES!" As years went by, he'd remember how Eunice seemed quite agitated at the mere mention of the Welsh crooner. As their twilight years came, he'd think, "sure, Eunice was married to me and hung around, but that was only because she couldn't have Tom Jones. I know who she really loved... *grouse* *grouse*..."

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em, I suppose.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

LOL- Yep, he was (and apparently still is) quite the fad...

Buck said...

As years went by, he'd remember how Eunice seemed quite agitated...

And on the OTHER hand... Linda Ronstadt. ;-)

George said...

I'm with Buck. Ms. Ronstadt had (and has) a remarkable voice. In the late 70s, Playboy magazine said she had 'the best white pipes in the business'. Now, if she would just shut up and sing!
Fortunately, singing stars (Ronstadt, McCartney) are not the political pundits I follow.

Vinogirl said...

Oh...Tom is fab, what a voice. However, I prefer Ms. Bassey (also Welsh) singing this particular song.
I have to go to YouTube now and find a clip of Mr. Jones singing 'Just Help Yourself.' I need a Tom fix!!!