Saturday, June 12, 2010

Time to get a new thermostat

My house is an old one, and I bought it expecting that everything would pretty much need to be replaced. One thing however, I thought had already been sufficiently updated and that I probably would not need to replace it for years, and that was the digital programmable thermostat.




*GACK!*




I've worked and worked with that thing. Vainly have I tried to override, re-set and in any way adjust its pre-set programming, and the bloody flipping thing is a colossal piece of crap.




*angsty-angst!*




This weekend, I'm going to go buy one of the old manual analog thermostats. You know the kind - one with a dial where you set the bloody temperature and when you put it there, the damned thing won't make an executive decision and boil you in your bed at 3am when the house's temperature has gone up to meet the pre-set 85 melon-farming degrees that it decided to switch over to even though you told it to hover somewhere in the lower 70s. One that knows its place. One that I can be sure will be set on the temp I left it.






ARRRRRGH!!!




I can't sleep in a hot house. I need cool. Sweet, ozone-killing coolness is the only way I can sleep comfortably, and this bloody thermostat has gone rogue and will NOT be programmed. How is it saving energy if I come home to an 85 degree house and my A/C system has to work like a Trojan to bring it down to a decent temperature so then the system has to run for hours just to make it comfortable?


Oh, and just try finding a plain-jane model thermostat on the site at Home Despot-- you have to go through a rattletrap round-robin of what a Great Thing™ programmable thermostats are. I finally figured out how to get the comprehensive list, and I found one just for me. One that will do what I tell it to. One that won't give me no lip. One with absolutely NO frelling digital display.




I'm DONE. This weekend, I'm going retro and damn the torquemadas. And THEN, when this old thermostat comes off, I'm going to do a ritual killing. I'm probably going to shoot, burn and sledgehammer the damned thing. I may take it to Blogorado and see if we can really make it go all 'splodey.


hmph.



It's only fair.

8 comments:

Keads said...

Oh crap! You may not be able to find one because of the evil mercury in it!

I had the whole heat pump and air handler swapped out here a year ago. Apparently the install crew was not up to the task of programming the 2 stage compressor and variable speed blower! The thing worked, but it was all on or all off! I found the programming manual on the interwebz and made it all better!

Good luck! When this get so hard! Hotter or cooler, pick one!

On a Wing and a Whim said...

'Tis the gift to be simple,
'tis the gift to be free,
'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.

Or, at least in this case, the house of cool enough to sleep! Glad to hear Chuy is doing better!

Christina RN LMT said...

I want photographic evidence of its destruction...it's the only way to be sure!

Peter said...

Hmm . . . thermostats, Tannerite and gunbloggers. A match made in Heaven (or, at least, Colorado)?

:-)

Buck said...

Heh. I have one of these tee shirts. You're doin' the Right Thing on all counts.

Old NFO said...

I do believe we can make that happen Phlegmmy :-)

Farmmom said...

Oh My YES. Any and all contributions to the things to destroy list for Blogorado is appreciated !!!! :D

Steve said...

I have a hard drive I'm supposed to put a bullet through, to prove it's destroyed.

Just as soon as I get ol' betsy sighted back in again.