Monday, February 01, 2010

I [heart] electric skillet!

I'm sorry I don't have a photograph, but it was over so fast. New household acquisition this weekend was an electric skillet, and I made a traditional southern Italian braised chicken dish with peppers and the house is perfumed with such sweet glory. Yum.

It's been too long since I made this, but I'll be making it again very soon. The puppies were losing their minds as I cooked it- hopping from foot to foot. At the end of the meal, I took the heel of a bread loaf and soaked up all the yummy goodness from the electric skillet and cut it into wee bits and divvied it betwixt their foodbowls. Lucky hounds.

This recipe comes from a book a friend of mine got when living in Scotland in the early 70s, and i can't find a recipe on the net which parallels it, so in a week or two I will cook it again, take pictures before it gets nommed to death, and will post the recipe. Toe-curling goodness, I promise.

This is going to be a good week. Make the most of it!

2 comments:

Crucis said...

After my mother passed on, Dad lived mostly alone. He had one cooking utensil that was used for everything---his Sunbeam Electric skillet. I don't think he ever washed it. He just rinsed and wiped it clean with paper towels. The bottom was encrusted with grease like an old iron skillet.

When we inherited the skillet, some fifteen years later, my wife tried, and failed, to clean off all the grease. It finally quit a few years ago after nearly 40 years of use.

Fried Chicken, pork chops, country fried steak never tasted as good as those fixed in that old electric skillet.

Kevin said...

Looking forward to seeing that recipe... Sounds like a winner.