Thursday, February 04, 2010

When it rains, it pours. Er. Um. Poors.

Wow. Apologies for the cliffhanger factor yesterday-- sorry! -- didn't mean to be all cryptic. Also, electric service has been spotty in the area, so getting my posts up with the usual regularity may be more challenging for the coming days. My electric svc has been fine, but I suspect my ISP is having power issyoos.

I haven't mentioned it in a while, but I started my temp job for Big Corporation in May, and I expected it to be about a 6 month long job interview. It has turned into 10 months of sometimes spirit-crushing interview, but yesterday began the process to screen me for offical employment with the company. I have to take a[nother] drug test and pass a[nother] background check, and then it'll be official. I've only known about this news since Tuesday afternoon. Then, like clockwork, Wednesday morning, someone from a company with a job I really want called to offer me a job, but the offer was about 30% lower in pay than I'd hoped for, and would be a cut in pay from present job, at that. Then, 30 minutes later, another job I applied for called to ask me to come in for some testing for the job.


The pity of it is that at the end of the day, I have to choose which job based on money and health benefits, rather than which I would most prefer, necessarily.

Whatever I do, I'm resolved to feel I made the best of choices and move forward with it. It's kind of a strange moment, though, for them all to happen at once. I interviewed for the other job offer nearly 2 months ago, so it's really ironic they should come in with an offer AFTER Big Corporation finally ponied up and asked me to go to the Prom with them. If they'd offered me that job a week ago, I'd have been sorely tempted, but the drop in pay is probably going to be the dealbreaker.

My puppies have to eat. I'll keep you posted, and thanks for the crossed fingers. I love you people!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

take the one you will prefer.

A

Don said...

I'll definitely be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Turk Turon said...

What, no polygraph?! Crikey. Too bad. I thought it was the CIA at first. Nice place to work, but they don't have a vision plan.

Rabbit said...

I understand completely. I make less where I'm at than I would in the 'real world', but I'm relatively content (read that as not bashing folks heads in with a swivel chair all day long) doing what I do. I've had several interviews that looked ok lately, but I weighed the amount of TARP money the companies took vs. my Heinlein/Rand monkey brain, and declined their generous offers.

I sleep better, too.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Farmmom said...

You do what feels right for you money or no.

BTW I finally got that package in the mail yesterday. Things have been crazy around here.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

What a dilemna! What lousy timing! You will make the right choice for you and the puppies, I am sure.

Jon said...

I'll say a prayer. It may not be much, but I'm hoping it is.

TOTWTYTR said...

It always happens that way. Nothing, then offers all over the place.

Farmmom is right, take the job that feels right to you.

OHN said...

Any chance you could tell the job you want, that the job you have is ponying up more bucks to see if they would open up their wallets too?

Christina RN LMT said...

Decisions, decisions! Sometimes it sucks being a grownup...

I'm rooting for you, whichever way you go, Darlin'.

Old NFO said...

Do what is right for YOU... :-)