Saturday, January 27, 2007




Wow, it's amazing what a little time capsule undeveloped film can be.

I was cleaning (fancy that!) and digging through a box of stuff from a couple years ago, and came across a disposable camera with 4 shots taken on it. Husband took it to be developed today, but I didn't know what was on it.

A couple times I wondered why these shots never turned up, but I never did try to dig through developed photos - just thought they had to be in there somewhere.

Two years ago December, we'd made our usual holiday trek out to Arizona, but I got sick and was terrified of giving a virus to my grandmother, who was in the throes of a losing battle with cancer. We turned tail at Las Cruces NM and went home, coming back a few weeks later in January. When we got there, grandma was in a much-diminished state from the previous fall. We drove home that week, and drove back in February with my sister and niece and nephew.

Anyway, every grandaughter and great granddaughter who ever woke up in Bertie's house had this special moment with her. It was an unspoken tradition, but we all ended up "helping" her make her fabulous buttermilk biscuits. I'd walked in on this early morning scene and stole a couple pictures of their moment together. It was incredibly sweet. And there it is, the same old biscuit cutter she used when I was a little girl, same wonderfully soft and smooth dough and same sweet granny.

Bertie was wearing a stocking cap because her hair was all gone. She mostly wouldn't have bothered with that, but I think she didn't want to alarm anyone. Once she was wearing a wig and ran into an acquaintance at the store, and the woman said "Well, look at that hair, Bertie! Are you trying to stay young?" Grandma said "No, I'm just trying to stay."

Anyway, seeing these photos for the first time tonight, I'm a pitiful mess. I can't believe I lost both my grandmothers in an 11 month period. I feel incredibly blessed that I got to have them both until I was nearly 40, but I wish they were still here. My grandmas were the absolute best.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice story. Fun finding memories like that.

Anonymous said...

Phlegmmy, think of it as your Grannie just coming to say hello to you two years on. She loves you!

Anonymous said...

What an incredible find! It's like a little goodbye especially for you.

Thanks for sharing.

Heather B said...

I am envious of your find ... how wonderful it must have been to open these photos.

phlegmfatale said...

fathairybastard - it was a great find, indeed.

meg - thanks - you have such a sunny way of putting things!

g bro - I suppose there is no time when one would willingly let go of a loved one - the more time passes, the more profoundly you realize how important your loved ones are

mushy - it was amazing to see them

heather b - it was wonderful - I cried like a baby