Wednesday, January 03, 2007

More from Anna Russell

This whole bit from Anna Russell is fantastic, called "How to Write a Gilbert&Sullivan Operetta." Gilbert and Sullivan operettas made much hay of a caste-type system and snob-appeal, and their stock-and-trade was to make great sport of the serving class - very mean! Anyway, I love her - even at this late stage (I would guess she was well advanced into her 70s in this recording) you can see what a vibrant, clever and lively soul she is on stage. She actually had a disastrous entry into the professional opera realm in the early 1930s when, as poor Santuzza in Leoncavallo's Cavaleria Rusticana, she knocked over an entire set backdrop - mortifying! Anyway, she was incredibly clever and someone urged her to make public performances of her musical satire, and a star was born. I love it. I hope you get a giggle.

Here's a link to the Anna Russell Shrine page where there are several audio clips available.

4 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

You should pick up "Anna Russell Sings?" - it's a scream. The only one on your list I'm familiar with is Victor Borge, and yes, I adore him. Also, Dudley Moore did some brilliant classical piano parody that's worth digging up - it can be so stuffy and serious, and I love witty things that can playfully make light of classical music.

Anonymous said...

God, I can't abide G and S. Shoot me.

Anonymous said...

That was cute.I had never seen her before. Thanks :)

phlegmfatale said...

fathairybastard - I have to say some little snippets have a certain charm, but almost all of it runs together in my mind...

g bro - and you're never ever sick at sea.

hammer - You're welcome - I think she's adorable.